25. My Aching Need

Kol's POV:

“Marcellus, how are you?”

“Kol? What do you want?”

Even the tone in his voice through the phone remained hostile. Wondrous.

“Oh, I just miss you, is all.”

“... I don't have time for this, Kol.”

I mentally frowned at his inability to make a joke.

“Alright, alright. I need a favour.”

There was a brief silence, one that seem to exist just for the dramatic effect.

Oh. That's odd.”

“Oh don't worry, this one might interest you,” I proudly remarked, “You see, I recently found out that Davina has in her possession that magic diamond you and my brother so shamelessly stole once, remember?”

What? What is she–”

“I need you to ask her what she is planning to do with it. I don't like it.”

“Why don't you do it yourself, then? Aren't you two such great lovers now?”

I leaned against the bannister, my eyes catching the sight of her figure. From our balcony, I could easily watch the little witch walking across the street, heading towards the old church. During the call, I didn't peel my eyes off of her, simply because I was too intrigued to see what she was planning this time.

Whenever I wasn't around, she would always cause trouble like that.

At the thought of her disobedient nature, I smiled to myself, recalling exactly why this girl had bewildered me this much.

Staying away from her was harder than I thought it would be.

... Remembering that I was still on the phone with Marcel, my smile dropped.

“We are currently taking our time. Which is none of your concern, of course. So since you're partly responsible this dangerous object ended up in our little witch's hands, and also because she trusts you more than me right now, you should find out her plans with it.”

“Wait, what happened–”

“I will call you later for more information.”

Ending our call there, before he began pestering me with more of his lousy questions, I slipped the phone in my pocket. At the same time, Davina had just disappeared around the corner, her figure no longer in my range of sight.

This girl was impossible to control.

I believed staying away from her would cultivate some sense in her mind, but instead, she would always end up acting recklessly.

At least, if she would do so, she had to do it with me.

Just wait for me a little while longer, darling.

Because it appeared all too hard to keep away from each other.

But for now, I would silently watch her from the shadows.

~ • ~

Davina's POV:

Finally got it.

It was an easier task than I thought it would be and, apart from the heart-racing moment of Klaus's return, I didn't encounter much trouble.

Sighing, I let myself fall on the couch, my energy completely drained for the rest of the day. For a second, I felt tranquil, enjoying this inexplicably rare moment of silence.