Chapter 2: All That Remains (PT. 2)

16 MONTHS LATER

Y/N: "Mmm, weasel, my favorite!" Y/N enthusiastically exclaims.

"Heh heh, stop, Y/N!" The now much older Clementine shouts as she playfully nudges Y/N.

The two then cease their laughter as they turn to their left to see Christa, a sad expression plastered onto her face. She was no longer pregnant, and she didn't even bother to notice the joke Y/N just created.

The three were sitting on a large log in the rain, in front of a campfire where they were cooking said weasel.

Clementine: "Christa... Talk to us."

Christa sighs, stands up, and tends to the fire.

Christa: "...This'll never work." Christa gestures toward the campfire. "Look at this, it's pathetic. The wood's too wet to burn. There's more smoke than flame. At this rate, we'll be eating this for breakfast."

Y/N: "I-It's okay, Christa... We can wait."

Christa: "All we do is wait... And where does that get us?" Christa tends to the dimly lit flame.

"You two should be doing this, not me. Tending a fire so you can cook and stay warm. It's something you have to be able to do... Otherwise..." Christa chokes on her words as she softly looks away.

Y/N: "I... I understand."

Clementine: "...We need to find a group. People we can trust. We've been on our own for too long."

Christa sarcastically chuckles. "Trust? Do you think you can trust someone out here? Not now. Not anymore, and not ever."

Y/N: "But..." Y/N looks to the flame and ceases his words.

Clementine: "But, Christa, we can't build a big fire at night. It attracts too much attention. It's too dangerous when we're out here by ourselves."

Christa: "We need to eat, don't we? We can't survive without food."

Clementine: "Omid said that..."

Christa: "I know what Omid said."

Clementine wraps her arms around herself. "I'm freezing." She announces through shivers.

This prompts Y/N to wrap his arms around Clementine and hold her close, generating more heat for the two.

Christa: "You think this is bad, wait 'til we get up to Wellington, then talk to me about the cold. If we make it. We still have a couple of hard months ahead of us. This rain will turn to sleet, then ice, then snow. It won't be easy."

Y/N sighs.

Christa: "...As long as we keep moving north, we'll be okay."

Clementine: "...I miss Lee."

This made Y/N's grip around Clementine's body weaken.

The mentioning of Lee's name was always a soft spot for both Y/N and Clementine.

Lee was both of their heroes, but Y/N, he felt nothing but guilt.