Chapter 7: William Carver

Y/N stood his ground, his eyes hardening. "Get out of here. Now."

The stranger raised an eyebrow, a hint of amusement in his eyes. "Is that how your parents taught you to greet a neighbor?"

Clementine, stepping forward slightly, interjected, "We have a gun."

The man's gaze shifted to Y/N. "Smart boy. I would, too, if I were you. But believe me, I'm not the enemy."

As the man spoke, Y/N noticed the bulge of a pistol at his side. The man continued, "My family and I are settled a ways downriver. I'm surprised we haven't come across each other yet. What's your name?"

Y/N responded defensively, "Why do you want to know?"

Seemingly unfazed, the stranger replied, "Call me George." He extended a hand, but neither Y/N nor Clementine took it. "Mind if I step in for a bit?" Without waiting for a response, he began to make his way inside.

Y/N's voice rang out, sharper this time. "Yes, we do mind."

Unperturbed, the man glanced around, admiring the cabin. "This is quite a place. Not many cabins this large out here. How many are staying with you?"

Clementine replied tersely, "Just us."

The man looked skeptical. "Really?"

Clementine met his gaze defiantly. "We manage on our own."

"Must say, I'm impressed." The man paused, his demeanor becoming more serious. "Look, I'll get to the point. I'm searching for my group. Seven of them. They've been missing for some time now. Maybe you've seen them. A couple of farm boys, an older man, a Spanish gentleman with his daughter, a quiet girl, taller than you two, a big black man, and a pregnant woman."

Clementine quipped, "That's a lot of people to misplace."

The man sighed, "You have no idea."

As he wandered into the kitchen, his eyes rested on the stacked dirty dishes. "A lot of plates for just two people. Seems like a storm passed through."

Y/N shot back, "We're not big on cleaning."

The stranger smirked, "Neither am I."

Clementine's eyes darted to a knife on the counter, contemplating her options.

The man continued, "Just passing through, or have you been here long? I hope you're not one of those dreamers heading up north. This place seems perfect. Why would you want to leave after finding it?"

Y/N's instincts kicked in as he lunged for the knife. But the stranger was quicker, seizing it before either of them could react.

"Where does this go?" the man asked, his eyes narrowing at Y/N.

Clementine intervened, "Uh, it goes in that drawer."

The man placed the knife in the drawer and began to explore the living room. Clementine and Y/N cautiously followed. From the corner of his eye, Y/N noticed Sarah moving stealthily from one hiding spot to another.

The stranger glanced at a plaid shirt on the couch, a reminiscent look in his eyes. "I knew someone who wore shirts like that. A doctor. Quite the arrogant and bitchy type, but sharp. I miss him."

Clementine, curious despite herself, asked, "What happened to him?"

The man sighed, "Let's just say our paths diverged. People you're close to can turn on you, given enough time." He looked down, noticing a chessboard on the table. "Hmm, white's in a tight spot. Three moves from checkmate. Impressive."

A soft sound from above caught his attention. Sarah had inadvertently made a noise while sneaking upstairs.

The man's gaze sharpened, "I thought you mentioned it was just you two?"