Chapter 9: A House Divided

As the group enters the lodge, they are greeted by a warm and festive atmosphere, with the room adorned with lights and holiday decorations.

A man who has been hosting Kenny and the Indian girl for several weeks explains the lodge's history and current state. "It used to be a ski lodge, so we have plenty of food. And believe it or not, we still get some power from the wind turbine out front. We usually keep the lights off at night to avoid drawing attention, but we couldn't resist decorating a bit after finding these in storage."

With a playful gesture, Kenny silently communicates to Clementine and Y/N that the man is a bit talkative, eliciting a soft chuckle from them both.

The man, noticing the laughter, asks, "What's so funny?"

Kenny responds with a friendly slap on the man's back, "Oh, nothin', Walt. Walter, here, is one smart son of a bitch. Makes a mean can of beans, too."

Not missing a beat, Walter suggests, "Well, why don't you three catch up while I get some dinner started?" as Nick, Luke, Rebecca, and Alvin enter the lodge.

Walter invites them to feel at ease, "Please, make yourselves at home. You can leave your things over there."

Rebecca, defensive, retorts, "The hell we will."

Nick, clutching his rifle, declares, "Yeah, I'm holding onto my rifle, thanks."

Walter tries to reassure them, "You're our guests. There's no need to worry."

Nick challenges him, "Tell him to put his gun down, then."

Turning to Kenny, Walter seeks affirmation, "Kenny?"

Kenny looks to Clementine and Y/N, trusting their judgment. "Will you vouch for these people? If you say they're good, I'm good with them."

Nick, still tense, points out, "Us? You were the one waving a gun around, man."

Luke, attempting to defuse the situation, interjects, "We're cool, okay? Hey, hey, we're cool, we're cool."

Kenny turns to the two kids, seeking their input in the delicate balance of trust and suspicion.

Clementine confidently vouches for the group's safety, stating, "They're cool." Y/N, standing firmly by her side, nods in agreement to affirm her judgment.

In the lodge's warm, inviting common area, a cheerful and welcoming woman of Indian-American descent with dark brown hair enters alongside Sarah and Carlos. Sarah's eyes light up at seeing a decorated Christmas tree, but Carlos gently chides her to focus on the current discussion.

With a gentle smile, the woman shares their luck in finding the festive decorations stored away, bringing a nostalgic holiday spirit to the lodge. Sarah can't hide her amazement, exclaiming about the tree's beauty.

Observing the group's easing tension, Kenny sets down his weapon in the foyer. Clementine follows his lead, placing her backpack on the floor, laden with their essentials, including Y/N's axe.

The woman warmly invites the group to follow her to see where they can sleep, but Kenny and her exchange glances, choosing to stay behind with Clementine and Y/N.

Settling down on a couch by a fireplace, Kenny looks at Clementine's hat, flicks it, and then at looks the both of them, saying, "Still wearin' this dirty old thing, huh?" His voice turns wistful, "You know, I half-expected to see Lee walk up with you guys. The three of you were inseparable, like three peas in a pod... Or how'd it go... Was it 'two peas in a pod'? Nevermind... You get my point." Noticing the shadow that crosses Clementine and Y/N's faces, he quickly adds, "...O-Oh, shit, I didn't mean to... It's just hard not to think about him, you know?"