Chapter 1: The Message

Liah POV:

„Sweetie, I made you an appointment with Sarah, she'll come over in an hour. Don't forget it!" Mom called from downstairs, and I groaned at the mention of it. Then I heard the door shut close and I knew she was off to work, wherever that was.

I finished brushing my teeth and looked up in the mirror. My black roots were showing again. I usually dyed my hair once a month if not more often. Mom would always call Sarah, her friend, to do my hair then. No idea why but my mom insisted I dyed it anything but black, preferably blond since she was blond herself.

I moved closer to the mirror and inspected my roots. They were a dark black which I really liked and wanted to wear but was never allowed to. I could also remember that my hair was a lot wavier, maybe even curly, a few years ago but over the years and the continues dyeing it was now almost straight and a lot thinner.

I disliked it a lot, it looked flat and boring like every other blond girl in the world. Which wasn't like me at all. Boring was a foreign word for me but my mom wanted to make sure I was as plain and boring as possible. 'Never draw any attention to yourself, am I clear!' That was the mantra she repeated on a daily basis until I followed it. But other than my looks she was never successful with that.

"Mommy me hungry." I felt a tap at my pajama pants.

"Good morning, baby." I said in my baby voice to Caleb, he is 2 years and 10 month old. As I hugged Caleb he giggled adorably which made him even more adorable.

"Did you climb out of your bed again?" I scolded him playfully and tickled him at his sides as I saw the mischievous smile on his face.

How is it that kids always do what you tell them not to do. Caleb really loves to ignore the word 'No'. I'm sure he knows the meaning but he just loves to tease me while ignoring it. You can always see the spark of joy in his eyes as he challenges me.

Caleb couldn't stop laughing under my tickles and tried to wiggle out from my hands. Too bad for the poor thing that I loved teasing him too much, his cute giggles were just too adorable. I continued for another minute until I picked him up and sat him on my waist.

"It's Thursday today and we have nothing planned so far. How about we start with a yummy breakfast? What do you want to eat, baby?" I asked as I walked towards the kitchen with him.

"Pancakes!" He said and giggled afterwards.

"Pancakes it is."

As we reached the kitchen I sat Caleb in his high chair and made sure he was able to see me cooking. I occasionally made some grimaces or funny dances to keep him entertained while I cooked.

As soon as the pancakes were ready I gave Caleb one and myself two with syrup. Breakfast took a little longer since Caleb decided to play catch with his pancake. I don't know how but at some point he threw it in the air and it got stuck on the ceiling. It looked like one of those pizza fails you saw on tv but in our case syrup was dripping down from it. I had to clean it and cook a new pancake for Caleb, this time without any syrup on it.

Clack

I heard the front door open and mom came inside. She looked towards Caleb and me but ignored our presence as she immediately went to her room. I had no idea what she was doing. I had thought she was at work earlier, even though I didn't know where she worked or what she did.

Hell, she was my mother and I didn't even know what she did for a living.

As I was younger I never really gave it much thought, I made up stories and thought my mom was even a spy or secret agent since we moved a few times without a real reason and she wasn't present most of the time. Today I'm just getting more and more suspicious of her and her strange behavior at times. I wouldn't even be surprised to find out she does some illegal work.