Chapter 13: Painful Truths

Liah POV:

"So, Liah, how did you find us?" Ian asked out of the blue.

I turned to him. "Mom never told me anything about my father or other relatives, so I started to snoop around a bit." Everyone was listening attentive as I continued. "One day I found a few burned papers in the fireplace and thankfully a picture was still usable."

"That was the picture you showed us that night." Isaac stated and I nodded. I was surprised he even said something to me since he looked always so calm and distant as if he was unaffected by me being here.

"A few month ago I hired a private detective to look for the man in the picture. Then five days ago I got an answer with your work address. I packed the car, took Caleb and drove here."

"And you came to my office four days ago." Jonathan stated.

I nodded again, they knew the rest from there, so I didn't have to explain again how I took the invitation card and found their mansion.

"Where did you live until now?" Uncle Sandro asked with a curious look. The others around the table seemed to tense at his question but covered it up fast.

"Mom and I lived in Arlington Arizona for the last two years. We moved a few times before that."

"And you drove all the way from Arlington to dad's office by car?" Lijah asked surprised.

"Jap." I said popping the p. "It turned into a 20-hour drive since I had to stop at a motel to sleep at."

"What about 10 years ago?" Darien quickly chimed in and out of nowhere Rome started to hold my hand and squeezed it.

"What?" I asked confused, not knowing what he was referring to.

"Did you move ten years ago?"

I looked around the room and I could tell there was a lot of tension now. "Well, we moved ten years ago too. How do you know that?"

Uncle Sandro wanted to speak but Jon stopped him and shook his head as to keep quiet. Wow, more secrets. First, it's mom who never told me anything and now at the first question I have my father hides things from me too. I just wanted to stand up and leave this place, not wanting to get told anymore lies or be forbidden to ask certain things. But the moment I would leave this house I knew that mom was waiting. That brought another question to mind.

"Is Joseline even my real mother?" I looked Jonathan right in the eyes and I saw him shriek together at my sudden question.

Everyone around the table looked uncomfortable and Uncle Sandro simply sipped from his coffee obviously denying any involvement. What a great help.

"Ye-" Isaac started but Rome cut him off.

"No." He said loud. "She was never your mother." He squeezed my hand tighter and looked at the ground.

Hearing it out loud hurt more than I would like to admit. Knowing that she wasn't my biological mother hurt even more because of the things she did. But I couldn't say that I wasn't surprised, I really wasn't. It even made more sense. Her wanting to dye my hair like hers, never telling me about my biological father and many more things.

But that just left me with more questions. How did I even end up with Joseline? I mean this family obviously knew about me, Rome was here, he is my twin. And I still had no idea about my biological mother. If they gave me away, I wondered why, why me? Why would they separate Rome and me? I had to ask them, I needed to know.