Chapter 6: Confrontation

Liah POV:

I was sitting on a chair by the window looking outside the garden while rocking Caleb up and down in my arms. Thankfully he had calmed down quickly and fell asleep right after.

An hour had already passed since we were brought into this room and nothing had happened yet. I was impatiently tapping my foot up and down. I wanted to get out, but I wanted answers too. And I didn't want to admit it but a slight wave of guilt tucked at the back of my mind as I remembered the scene from earlier. I had caused quite a scene with Caleb and probably caused some troubles for Jonathan and his wife.

Clack.

I turned around as I heard the door open. I saw two tall men in formal suits walking inside. One was the man who had stood by the woman in the red dress. They slowly walked inside and looked around the room before their eyes landed back on me, they starred at me coldly. Then Cailyn, the pregnant woman, and Jonathan entered together with two other men in their late twenties.

I stood up and took a few steps towards the people. The first man who had walked inside mimicked my steps skeptically and walked in front of the Cailyn, seemingly to shield her.

Is he serious right now? What is he expecting from a teenager who's holding a sleeping toddler in her arms?

"Don't worry, I won't hurt a fly." I said a bit sarcastically and the people just looked at me strangely.

I suddenly realized that there was a lot of eye contact and a lot of focus on me. I tried to find Jonathan's gaze but he was only looking at me doubtfully.

Well, he might be my sperm donor, god I didn't even know if he really was. Argh, why do I always act before I think things through. I mean I did think this through and this was really my best shot.

Cough.

One of the men cleared their throats, successfully getting my attention.

"Oh sweetie, are you alright?" The woman, Cailyn asked me worried.

I crunched my nose at her worried expression. "Well, yes. I'm good."

She chuckled and smiled at me after. "Lijah, tell the guard to bring a few drinks and snacks."

The guy, Lijah, nodded and walked to the door opened it and stepped outside only to come back a second later and he quickly returned to his earlier spot and starred at me again.

Just as I wanted to speak I felt Caleb stir in my arms. Everyone's gazes turned from me towards Caleb. I started to bob him up and down in hopes he would continue to sleep, I failed as he slowly woke up. He stretched adorably in my arms and rubbed his eyes as he became more awake. He tiredly looked at me and at his surroundings. He looked startled for a second until he looked at me again.

"Mommy." He hugged me and laid his head on my shoulder, I solely bobbed him up and down as I looked at the people in the room.

To my surprise their earlier cold expressions had turned into those of adoration. As they saw me looking at them their gazes quickly hardened again, all except for Cailyn's.

"The kid sure is adorable but not mine and I've never seen or met the girl before." The tallest of the men said as he pointed at me. He wore a navy blue fitted suit and a tattoo was showing on the side of his neck. He had his black hair slicked back and dark hazel eyes.

The three other men nodded at him in confirmation.

"I bet it's yours, Lijah." The tall one said, tapping the shortest looking one on the shoulder.

"Haha, funny Zac. Who says it's not yours." Lijah sassed back at Zac and the third of the bunch joined in.

"Be honest with us brother." The man from earlier, who I had seen by Cailyn's side, said.

"What are-" I tried but was interrupted.

"Nah, Rome is still the safest choice." Another added.

What was going on here? I don't even know what they are talking about. Don't tell me they think that I am looking for Caleb's dad. Oh no, what was Jonathan thinking not clarifying this? Then the lightbulb in my head blinked.

Shoot. I better explain this fast before there are even more misunderstandings.

"I mean it-"

"You're wrong." They looked at me as if I had grown two heads and Jonathan looked a little relieved I think. I didn't know why though. "None of you are his father." A wave of relieve washed over their faces.

"What are you doing here then?" The tallest one, I think his name was Zac, asked.

"Because, because of him." I pointed at Jonathan.

"Me?" He asked surprised at which I nodded. "Why?" He asked skeptically.

"Yes. Because you are my dad." I said to Jonathan and his expression immediately hardened.

"This is a bad joke, right?" He screamed out which startled me.

I looked at the other men but they were looking at me just as coldly as if I had done something terrible to them. Cailyn was the only one who seemed to stay calm and tried to calm her husband down.

"I'm not joking, my mother had this picture of you." I held Caleb with one arm as I rummaged for the picture in my purse.

As I got it out I showed it to the people but their expressions didn't change a bit.

"This is by far the worst attempt of someone claiming to be my sister!" The youngest of the four other men said. "You didn't even put any effort in in trying to look like her." He snarled at me as he grabbed my arm.

I sat Caleb on the ground and pushed him behind my legs, shielding him from the cold gazes.

"Mommy, men scary." He said behind me.

"Darien, please-" Cailyn tried to reason with the man who had grabbed me but without much effort.

"Don't think of interfering, you have nothing to do with this either." The man, Darien, lashed out at Cailyn.

"Darien!" Jonathan warned his son who didn't seem to care for his threats.

"I'm telling the truth." I interrupted again. "My mother never told me about you and made sure to keep everything a secret from me."

Jonathan drove a hand over his face. "Zac, get the guards to escort her out and find out if there's anyone working with her."

"NO!" I screamed and everyone's head snapped to me. They couldn't find my mother or send me back. I took a deep breath before trying to speak again. "That's not-"

A bang from the door caught all of our attention.

Another boy interrupted me as he walked through the door into the living room. He didn't say anything as he entered. He waved shortly into the room but stopped as he saw everyone looking at him surprised.

He was tall, maybe about 5'9 or 6', and around my age. He also had a good physique, not as strong as the other four men but non the less strong. He had wavy black hair that was longer on top with shaved sides. But what stood out most where his electric blue eyes and his tanned skin just like my own.

He starred back at me, glancing me up and down once and before I could even react I was engulfed in a bone crushing hug by the mysterious boy. A feeling of safety and warmth swept over me and I hugged the boy back, clenching my arms around his neck and putting my legs around his torso. He held me strongly and safely without moving an inch.