Chapter 3 | Always Rindou

Rindou adored his niece. A little too much sometimes. He would bounce her on his lap, stuff her cheeks with baby food, and play with her in her happiest times. Ran did the same, but he never did the other stuff like bathing, cleaning, cooking, supervising. Especially cooking. Ran would create dark matter from scratch. He tried... but it along with everyone else became Rindou's job for several reasons.

The Haitanis did not want anyone else in their penthouse with their precious little (y/n). When (mother name) died, the place became empty. Ran took everything out onto his work and Rindou followed him. But (y/n) needed to be taken care of. Initially, it was Ran who took care of (y/n). But did he know how to take care of a baby? The hell not.

Ran decided that he would wash her with his own expensive body soap for males. The mixture was too acidic for her sensitive skin. Panicking the Haitanis rushed to Bonten's doctor. This was not the case that made Rindou snap. One time Ran filled up the bathtub and let (y/n) sit there while he sorted out the new set of baby body wash and shampoo. He decided that the splash of water that erupted behind him was of no concern. When Rindou stepped into the spacious bathroom just to check on his little niece. (y/n) was completely submerged in the deep water, unmoving.

It was sheer panic after. Rindou yanked an unconscious (y/n) out of the water, shook her violently, smacking her back intensely like a bongo drum, and squeezed her torso multiple times. Begging for her to wake up. The water eventually popped out of her lungs and she began to cry. He screamed at Ran for almost murdering his daughter, clutching her weak, crying body.

The color drained from Ran's face and he never trusted himself again.

The Haitanis refused to let any of their male subordinates touch their girl, so they decided that a trustable woman should suffice. A woman working at one of their clubs was selected. She said she had experienced caring for babies and had been trusted and favored enough to sleep with Rindou several times.

She was invited to the penthouse and given access to the kitchen, the bathroom, the guest space, and (y/n)'s bedroom. The rest was off limits.

(Y/n) was still an infant. She could not talk nor move. The woman neglected her, entering the brother's rooms, laying on their beds, sifting through their items. She spent hours going through Ran's watch collection. Any rings she tried on her four finger.

When (y/n) cried, she stuffed her with food and turned on the TV at max volume on some kids show. (Y/n) would become entranced by the shenanigans on the screen and forget why she was crying in the first place. The woman did the bare minimum for (y/n), snooping around the Haitanis apartment, occasionally cleaning the areas that got the most attention of the brothers, watching Netflix and movies. A cleaning lady came in once a week to do all of the laundry and toilets.

This continued for half a year.

One time Ran returned early with no notice. He saw (y/n) sprawled face down on the living room carpet, sleeping alone. He cringed at the loudness of the TV and turned it off. Picking her up and stroking her delicate little face, he kissed her on the cheek and whispered. "I'm so sorry princess."

Veins popped out on his forehead. A murderous aura rolled off his shoulders. Throwing his suit jacket onto the sofa, he rolled up his sleeve to expose his tensed arms.

He stormed towards the bedrooms. His own bedroom door was wide open. Stepping through the doorway, he scanned the room like a wolf. When he saw the bright lights of his deceased wife's walk in closet, his vision turned... black.

Ran did not remember what had happened after.

Rindou dashed into the house, "where is my princess~" he shouted playfully waiting to hear (y/n)'s cute little squeal. But there was none. Curiously, he saw her snuggled up against Ran's jacket. Her face nuzzled into the fabric. She was fast asleep.