Chapter 3: The Trial of Councillor Hoskel

The day of the trial quickly arrived, far sooner than Paul had anticipated. He could hear the rumblings of the civilians in attendance through the imposing walls of the Council building. Paul could feel his heart beat faster as every step brought him closer to the towering door that bore down on anyone who approached it. He placed a hand against the door, the cold steel sending a shiver through his body as he pushed on the metal with great force to creak the large structure open. As Paul entered the council chambers, his eyes immediately went up to the ceiling that stretched far off into the sky. He had thought that 'The Proud Lioness' possessed a grand hall, but this was something else. Even the windows were appropriately grand in their scale, with each huge pane of glass sporting unique and abstract stained-glass patterns, guiding the light through into the chamber. He looked down and saw the rows of civilians sectioned off to the sides of the council chamber, with a handful of enforcers standing at their posts, ensuring things didn't get out of hand. A few of the people in the crowd noticed Paul and began to whisper. Paul couldn't make out what they were saying as he kept his gaze firm on the defendant's desk set up near the councillor's spherical table. As he got closer, the murmur of the crowd began to increase, as Paul noticed Mr Kargen glare holes into him whilst his prosecutor continued to whisper to the Noxian businessmen. Paul approached the desk and sat himself down next to Hoskel, giving him a short nod.

"How are you feeling Paul?" Asked Hoskel in a whisper.

"If I'm honest with you, I'm shitting myself." Admitted Paul in an even quitter whisper.

"Your case is solid though, right?" Asked Hoskel, initially worried by Paul's answer.

"Oh yeah. Of course. It's just...being in this room. It's easy to plan this sort of thing, but doing it is something else entirely." Replied Paul, as he turned to face Hoskel. He simply gave Paul a pat on the back.

"I know you, Paul. You can do it. I just know that when you get up there, you'll smash it. I reckon you'll probably enjoy it if this plan of yours is as good as it seems." Said Hoskel with a smile. Paul retuned the smile before Hoskel leaned over further. "You know, I can testify on the stand if needed."

"No. That won't be needed. I don't want any complications." Replied Paul, as he began to scan around the Councillors table, making a note that all of them were present.

"Won't be needed? Are you sure?" Asked Hoskel, surprised by Paul's immediate dismissal of his attempt to help.

"I may be shitting myself, but I have thought about nothing else except for this plan for the last few days. The last thing I need is for you to accidently let something slip." Whispered Paul, ensuring no one else could catch the wrong end of his words. Hoskel looked slightly surprised at Paul's particular phrasing.

"What do you mean? Let what slip?" Hoskel whispered in a bemused tone. Paul quickly turned to face Hoskel. The nerves had subsided and Hoskel was greeted with a more serious look.

"Not now, sir." Stated Paul in a quiet yet affirmative tone. "Just let me focus." He finished as he turned back towards the gaze of the council. Hoskel sat further back in his chair, his gaze on Paul for a few moments as another voice echoed throughout the chamber.

"Ladies and gentlemen." Echoed the voice of Councillor Heimerdinger as the murmurs of the crowd died down to listen to the Yordle professor, who many deemed to be the unofficial head of the council. "The time has come to begin the trial of Councillor Hoskel. Now, as a reminder, due to the peculiar nature of a fellow Councillor being accused in such a manner and considering the severity of the charges involved, all members of the council have agreed to hear all arguments by both sides, before retiring for a discussion to conclude our thoughts. Then, upon reaching an outcome we deem appropriate for the evidence provided, we will then return and declare our verdict." Finished Councillor Heimerdinger as a subtle murmur rolled through the crowd, which was silenced when the Yordle raised his hand once more as he turned to face the prosecutor and Mr Kargen. "Does the prosecution have an opening statement?"