Chapter 7: The Injunction

Paul gazed around the pristine wooden walls and offices of the 'Hightower Estate Agency'. Many of the day-to-day office workers looked at Paul as he strode through the corridors with confused looks accompanied by quiet murmurs that rippled through the small clusters of employees. As he reached the end of the corridor, the number of employees congregating in small groups died down, isolating Paul as he approached the door to Karth's office. He placed a hand on the smooth wooden handle, after a deep breath, he pushed it open.

The long wooden table stretched across the spacious office floor, with the towering lighthouse logo of the estate agency looming over it. Paul looked across the table and saw several neutral faces looking him up and down. One of which was Councillor Salo, who sat next to a rather unhappy looking businessman, who Paul assumed was Karth. The last unhappy face he saw was Mr Jameson, who suppressed a scornful look to the best of his ability.

"Hello there, ladies and gentlemen. How are we on this fine day?" Said Paul with a smile as he placed his stained folder briefcase onto the table.

"Hoskel's prodigy. Goodbrook, wasn't it?" Asked Salo.

"That is right Councillor Salo, and it's good to see you again. How is Antonio doing by the way?" Asked the Lawyer as he began to unbuckle his case.

"You two are familiar with each other?" He asked, slightly confused.

"Well, I've known him for a number of years, so you could say that." Paul responded, flashing a smile back at him. "Ah, but where are my manners? Paul Goodbrook, private attorney." Said Paul as he introduced himself to each of the unhappy faces in the room, who Paul assumed were some form of legal team. Mr Hightower rose from his seat as Paul approached him, offering his hand.

"I am very much looking forward to getting this settled." Stated Karth with a cold expression and emotionless tone.

"So I am Mr Hightower." Responded Paul as he shook the hand, slightly taken back by his firm grip. "So am I." Repeated Paul with a smile as he walked back to his case, taking a seat opposite Mr Hightower, with his legal team turned to face him. "Now, due to the phrasing of your letter, I am going to guess that you lovely people have got an interesting offer for me and my clients. I am all ears." Said Paul as he organised the papers in front of him, drawing some curious looks from some of the faces in the room.

"We're going to give your clients a huge pile of money to get the hell off my land." Stated Karth, an undertone of fury being suppressed, no doubt through the wise council of the legal team.

"A bold claim Mr Hightower. What are your terms?" Inquired Paul.

"20,000. Each." Stated Mr Jameson, before another member of the team jumped in to continue.

"We will even throw in a very generous compensation fee for the time and effort you have put into...assisting your clients."

"Wow, that's very generous of you. What is required of me then? Unless of course, you are simply being charitable, which I highly doubt." Replied Paul as he scanned the legal team, catching a glimpse from Salo, who was simply watching the discussion unfold as he combed back his slick blonde hair.

"You will withdraw yourself as the representative for the residents of Brickstone House. The compensation is to cover for the loss of profits. We believe that 10,000 is more than fair." Replied another member of the team. Karth had not abandoned his latest endeavour of staring holes right through Paul.

Paul lent further back in his chair, quickly thinking of the possibilities. 10,000 was a lot, and they were just going to give it to him. In any other circumstance, Paul would have been a fool to turn it down.