Chapter 12

A sound of steel resounded in the silent plains as a certain individual hits a metal with his hammer on an anvil underneath a cherry blossom tree . The breeze was fresh, the sky was clear and blue, and the sun shone brightly at the sky.

His white hair was swayed by the wind and the smell of flowers tickled his nose while he had a faint smile, but with a serious look on his face. He wore a white kimono that is fastened by a red obi, and his concentration was immense.

What reflected his crimson red eyes was the bright red color of steel that he continues to pummel for a while, until someone poked his cheek, making him halt his work.

"Still hard at work I see." The voice he heard was rather sweet, and just from hearing it made the tension from his body dissipate in an instant.

He turned around and he was met by a maiden who wore a violet kimono. The maiden had pale white skin, dark purple hair that is tied into a long braid, eyes that are bright purple, and she had a beauty mark under her right eye. On her hand was a purple spear that had the symbol of electro.

"Ei? Done with your mission I assume?" He asked her as she handed him a cup of tea. It seems like she was already there earlier as there was a tea set that was set nearby. He puts the steel he was pummeling back into the furnace, and stretched his body.

"Yeah. Here you go." The man accepted the tea. Ei sat down and heaved a sigh of relief.

"Kenji, come sit beside me." Ei patted the empty spot beside her, and Kenji sat beside her on the foot of the cherry blossom tree.

Ei puts her hand on top of Kenji's hand and intertwined it with hers as a smile formed on her face, while she slowly leans her head to his shoulder.

The wind brushes their cheeks and the sound of the grass and plants made the atmosphere serene. From another perspective, it's impossible that they're not lovers.

"So how's the sword?" Ei asks breaking the silence.

"It's far from done. It would approximately take a decade or two before it's finished." He said.

"Still far, huh?" Ei said. "Ei?" Kenji noticed that Ei was smiling, before Ei shook her head.

"Nothing." Ei stood up and grabbed her spear.

"How about we spar for old times sake?" Ei said with a smile on her face.

"Oh please, you'll sweep the floor with me. I am but a blacksmith, not a warrior." Kenji said with a wry smile.

"You always say that. Can you at least try? We used to spar often." Ei pouted before he glared at Kenji.

"Geh... that look." A rush of nervousness ran through Kenji's body when Ei glared at him. Ei continued to glare at Kenji until he finally raised both of his hands.

"Fine, fine! You win! Please stop glaring at me... it stings." Ei stopped glaring at him and smiled. Kenji stood up from his seat and grabbed his weapon near the furnace, before walking to the direction where Ei stood.

"Even though we sparred a lot of times, you always get an overwhelming victory. At least hold back in this sparring." Kenji said, a little upset.

"Fine fine. I can't guarantee that I can hold back though, so fight like your life depends on it!" Ei disappeared from her spot and reappeared in front of Kenji with a slash.

"Going all out already?" Kenji asked as he struggled to deflect Ei's attack.

"All out? I'm not even serious yet!"

"Are you kidding me?!"

The spar ended with Kenji panting excessively on the ground, while Ei approached him with a satisfied look on her face.