Patrick

The project is a soft robot that somewhat resembles a boy wearing a fedora. It appears to be turned off, and Mikey looks proud of it. "This is it," he says.

"Mikey, is that a robot?" I gasp. "Yeah," Mikey says. "An inflatable musical robot. He's programmed with an amazing vocal range, and he can sing any note perfectly. He can also record and stream music. I named him Patrick."

"Patrick? Why Patrick?" I wonder. Mikey presses a button on Patrick, who is charging in the corner, and the robot opens his eyes.

"Hello," Patrick says. "My name is Patrick and I have a soul voice. Watch this! WHERE IS YOUR BOY TONIIIIGGHHT?"

"Woah, that's amazing!" I say. "You weren't kidding when you said he had a range. Anything else cool he can do?"

"I also like rabbits, and my favorite color is blue!" Patrick exclaims, attempting to smile.

"Okay, now might be a good time to turn Tricky off," Mikey laughs. "Patrick, please stop the music." With that simple command, Patrick returns to his charging station and deflates. "He's cool, Mikey," I smirk. "It's super neat that you built a singing robot."

"Thanks. I've been working on him for months. That robot could save rock and roll one day!" my brother says happily.

A professor holding a bass walks into the room. "That's an amazing project you've got there, Mikey," he says. "Say, who's this killjoy you've brought with you?"

"Oh, I'm Gerard, Mikey's brother," I begin to say, then I realize who I'm talking to. Mikey's teacher is Brent Wilson, the legendary bass player!

"Well," smiles Professor Wilson. "Here at the Institute of Punk, we have one of the nation's best music programs. You should really think about joining. All of the boys the dance floor didn't love study here."

I'm about to tell Professor Wilson how I want to join, but Mikey interrupts, "I don't think know, Professor. Gee's really serious about his bandfighting career."

"You're a bandfighter, huh?" Professor Wilson says. "I had a friend who was a bandfighter. He was just crazy about it. Why do you enjoy it?"

"It's pretty easy," I reply. "Well, if you like things easy, the Institute of Punk isn't for you," Professor Wilson sighs sadly. "We always create new and amazing sounds here, and we challenge our students." And with that, he walks into the elevator, leaving me staring wide-eyed at Mikey.

"So, do you still want to go to that bandfight?" he finally asks after a long silence. "No," I reply. "I want to go here, and learn the ways of punk! There has to be a way to apply!"

"Oh, there is," Mikey smirks. "Just wait until you hear about it."