The Application

Back at Uncle Dan's apartment, Mikey tapes a flyer to the wall of our shared bedroom. "Every year, the San Bandsokyo Institute of Punk holds a music contest. Whoever can write a song that impresses Wilson gets into the school."

"Sounds easy enough," I say, grabbing a pencil. "I'm going to write an amazing song, Mikey. It's gonna hit on the charts like three, two, one! One two three four five six seven eight nine TEN! TEN TO ONE!"

"Gerard, are you okay?" Mikey asks, looking rather concerned as I try to think of a song idea.

"I'm not okay. I promise!" I yell, struggling to think of an idea. "This music contest is ripping up my head, and my aspirations to shreds. Just leave me alone!"

"Maybe some people will leave you alone, but not me," Mikey replies. "What if I call the gang to help? Hayley, Pete, Frank, and Brendon are all great at music. I've got a friend named Joe who knows a lot about music, too."

"No, I know way more about music!" I protest. "But I do need some extra help with my song... can you call them?"

Mikey nods and turns on his Siri, saying, "Call Brendon, Frank, Hayley, and Pete."

Siri replies, Calling Mr. Benzedrine.

"No, don't let the doctor in! Ugh, I freaking hate Siri!" Mikey yells, dialing the numbers himself.

Hayley, Pete, Frank, and Brendon come over, and we manage to get a few song ideas. "What if we wrote a song about love?" Frank suggests, winking at me.

Hayley scoffs, "No way! I'd rather be gagged with a spoon! Pete, a little help here?"

"I've got a better idea," Pete grins. "We could write a song about Gerard's brother!" Mikey looks uncomfortable with that idea, so we decide against it.

"My idea is the best!" Brendon exclaims. "Let's write a song about sex and drugs and fill it with profanity!"

I shake my head. "Thanks guys, but I think I've got an idea." I grab a pen and start writing my song for the Punk Showcase.

Professor Wilson's going to have to let me in the school. And if he doesn't, I'll be the best he never has.