𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐮𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐝, 𝐰𝐞'𝐥𝐥 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐳𝐲

The streets of Ketterdam filled themselves as soon as the moon hit the sun. Dancers prancing around, traders making their deals, gambling halls filling with old hopefuls and the doors of pleasure houses swinging open to invite desperate men.

Cheers came all round, cries of pain and noises that were indescribable. For many, Ketterdam was a destination, where ideas became a reality.

But for Arya, it was a trap.

┕━━━━━━━♔━━━━━━━┙

Waltzing into Crow Club was surprisingly, the highlight of her day. Her hazel eyes, scan the room, looking for the regulars, the one's that annoyed her and Jesper.

She found him sprawled across a chair, one hand holding a set of cards and another caressing the revolvers on his hips, like his children. She turned her eyes away and spotted Kaz, as mysterious as ever, watching Jesper closely. He was like a hawk, or crow, the way he trained his eyes to stay focused, despite the noise that fluttered around him.

She turns back to the bar and gestures to the bartender, who pours her a drink.

"How are you doing tonight, Falcon?" He greets. She rolls her eyes. The Falcon. The name "awarded" to her by Tante Heleen. Her so called saviour.

"My name's Arya," She mutters. She doesn't say it loudly. They can't hear what she's saying anyway. They don't care enough.

She knows he means well but she feels a pang of guilt at the sound of the nickname. The thought of those she exiled entering her mind. If her saints have two shits she would've burst into flames by now.

She ignored the idea of her faith and looked to her left, giving Rotty a brief nod.

"Hey there darling," He grinned, giving off the persona of a five year old boy with a crush.

"Watch the tone Rotty," She sighed, as she glanced over his shoulder and admired the small painting in his hand.

"Nice picture. What is it?" She questioned. She already knew, it was in the office upstairs. She still liked seeing the excitement in a guys face when she showed slight interest in anything. It got her out of most situations.

"The DeKappel. A landscape of the Fold. Ain't it lovely?" He beamed.

I stood up when I heard a shot. "Sure is."

┕━━━━━━━♔━━━━━━━┙

Walking forward slighting, I saw Jesper, flipping his guns back into their sheaths. "Busted."

Jesper was ready to snatch his money away, spend it on another game, when the cane of the Bastard snapped down to the table. Jesper retracted his hands and looked up to meet Kaz's gaze.

"No loud noises at the table Jesper. You'll scare of the pigeons," He hissed. Those pigeons are the ones making us money.

"Wouldn't want that boss,"

"Shouldn't you be at the door,"

"Yeah, right away boss," and with that, Jesper tipped his hat towards Arya with a smile and moved to guard the door. Kaz looked over at him, full knowing he'd sneak his way back to this very table and pull the same move later in the night.

Kaz turned to her and gave a questioning look. "Shouldn't you be with the old witch down the road?"

Arya looked up at him, "She told me to go, needed to get something done. I don't know why I had to leave though."

She walked over to stand by him as they took off, headed for the stars to his personal office. It was technically his bedroom, but Kaz doesn't actually know what sleep is.

"Bit early for action innit Kaz?" Rotty chuckled, creeping up behind Kaz and Arya.

Arya saw the painting in his hand and smirked. "Good luck with this one," She whispered. Kaz obviously heard and gave an exhausted sigh

"What do you want, Rotty?" Kaz wonders.

"Someone stole a DeKappel from a Merch's private residence last night," Rotty stated, hope in his eyes.

"Is that so?" Kaz shared a glance with her as she looked down at her hands, a grin blooming over her face.

"It's a painting. A landscape of Ravka. The Fold on parchment." He informs, as if Kaz had no idea who the most famous artist in the world was.

"I know who DeKappel is," Kaz snaps.

"Well he don't do nudes, so I never heard of him," Rotty winks. Arya's scoff didn't go unnoticed as one stare from Kaz made her step away.

"Get to it, Rotty," He growled.

Rotty shoves the painting into Kaz's face to the point where Kaz puts his hand up to push it back.

"Worth something like 10,000 kruge,"

Kaz eyes the painting and glances back at me. I nodded my head to confirm the price and Kaz turned back to face Rotty.

"The thief had to get past four roving guards, high fences, padlocked doors and a security system designed by one of them Grisha witches." Rotty continues, like the thief and the mastermind weren't standing directly in front of him.

"Frabrikator," Arya said, peering over Kaz's shoulder.

Rotty rolled his eyes. "Whatever. The point is, either it was a group effort or a ghost."

"My bet's a ghost." Arya added earning a small smirk from Kaz. She had to make sure she wasn't losing her mind at the thought of him smiling.

"Why does this concern me?" He glares, clutching his cane and changing his persona completely.

Rotty looks at him like he's an idiot. "I've got a buyer lined up. Legit money. So uh, if you hear a whisper," Rotty finished, flipping something in his fingers and dropping it in his pockets. Thank the saints he's done.

"Who can hear a whisper here?" Kaz said, in a mocking tone. He turned around, first,  nudging Arya with his cane, and walked up the stairs to his office. Once she was inside, he closed and locked the door, blocking out the world around them.

┕━━━━━━━♔━━━━━━━┙