𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐩 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐩𝐬 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤. 𝐃𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞, 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐞, 𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐦𝐞?

With Milana by their side they made their way to the grand house of Dreeson. They stepped forward to the large black gates and noticed someone guarding the entrance. He had a dime lions tattoo.

"Do you want me to flirt my way in?" Arya asked, smirking at the way kaz shook his head and rolled his eyes at the same time.

"Behave," He ordered. Something inside her fluttered. She shut it down almost immediately. Almost.

He threw a bag of Kruge through the gate as a bribe and we were let in immediately. Almost immediately.

┕━━━━━━━♔━━━━━━━┙

After scamming the guard out front, Kaz rushed everyone inside, pushing Anya in the back with his cane in an attempt to make her move faster. She glared at him and turned away.

"One look and I can tell. Criminals."

Dreeson. A large man with a twirly moustache and a neat suit. With two guards at his sides, he shoved his hands into his pockets and inspected us. Staring Kaz dead in the eye.

"We heard you needed a heartrender," Kaz informed, gesturing to Milana, who gave a small wave, twinkling her fingers. Arya rolled her eyes.

"Alright, she stays, the rest of you out," He said, watching Milana step forward to follow him.

Kaz snapped his cane upwards, blocking her exit. She stopped and he struck his cane back down again. "She stays, and we get an exclusive on the job."

Dreeson straightens up his tie and moves towards Kaz. "Mr. Brekker, no business man worth his salt hires his first applicant," He glowered.

"No, I understand. Of course, I will have to report you to the guild for kidnapping and harboring a prisoner without a chain of title," Kaz threatened.

Dreeson's main guard moves his jacket to reveal a small revolver, clutching it in his massive hand. Jesper takes notice and so does Arya. Jesper reveals a bigger gun, already loaded and Arya opened her coat to show a set of sharp arrows, pulling her bow over her head.

"You wouldn't,"

"No business man worth his salt hires bargains for what he can take."

Kaz ended the argument on a good note, with some sour tension in the air.

Dreeson walks towards a door and they all follow in a single file. Dreeson, clearly in a bad mood at his loss to a 17 year old. How disappointing for him.

┕━━━━━━━♔━━━━━━━┙

They make their way into a small room. It smelled of wine and blood. The most unpleasant combination for anyone unfamiliar to Ketterdam. For locals, it wouldn't have been noticeable

"Who's this?" Kaz asked, as they were faced with a hostage sitting in a chair, with a brown sack over his head.

"So you don't know everything after all." Dreeson snarled. Kaz rolled his eyes and drew his attention back to the unmasked man.

"This... is Alexei Stepanov," Dreeson exclaimed, pulling off the mask to show a boy around their age. He had dirty blonde hair and his face was covered in brushes, blood and bashes. Triple B, Arya thought.

"Two weeks ago, young Alexei here crossed through the Fold on foot. Alone," Dreeson began, telling a story.

"How?" Arya gasped. It was almost impossible. She had barely survived.

"They're keeping it quiet, but allegedly he was one of a few witnesses to...an event."

"Water," The boy breathed, gasping for air

Inej and Arya immediately ran forward taking a glass and together, helped him drink. Doing all this under the glare of Dreeson and the watchful eye of Kaz Brekker.

"What kind of event?" Kaz said, breaking the silence.

"I know an expedition was swarmed by volcra. Should've been a total loss, but something happened. Some devices were detonated. Obliterated the volcra, lit up the dark like a forest fire. I know it wasn't a fire or else no one would have survived. This was some invention no one had seen before. He knows. But he doesn't seem to be able to articulate his account of events. Some form of traumatic lapse. So..." Dreeson finished his story by gesturing to Milana, who looked at Kaz for permission. He nodded his head forward and she waltzed up to the boy.

"You're safe now," She smiled, taking his hand. She breathed in and he did as she did. A hazed look covered his terrified eyes and he immediately calmed down.

His heartbeat was loud enough for all of us to hear.

"Now you can just speak and I will just listen," She informed, making sure he concentrates on his breathing.

He nodded his head and continued his breathing, matching her own.

"Tell me what happened in the Fold. What saved you?"

"You won't believe me, but... it was a Sun Summoner."

Arya gasped and Inej clutched her hand, squeezing it as a sign of hope for their world.

"Who was it?"

"If I tell you, you'll set me free?" Alexi wished, a hopeful look in his eye. The poor boy had no idea what was coming for him.

"You have my word. I'll set you free." and "You're in Ketterdam now, Alexei," were both said in an attempt to sway him. You can go anywhere in the world from here. Just imagine. Come on."

"Her name is... Alina Starkov." Alina. It was a beautiful name. It made sense. A beautiful name for the one with a beautiful power.

"Good boy. Show me the manifest." Dreeson ordered.

Milana sighed. Keeping a seductive eye on Alexi

"You'll set me free now?" Alexi's voice was laced with hope.

"Thank you. Of course." Dreeson pulled out his gun and shot him smack bang in the head.

Dreeson turned to them. Eyes now filled with greed.

"We are now the only people west of the Fold with this information. My ship sails for West Ravka at dawn. If you can prove that you have a way through the Fold and back, I'll put you on that ship with an advance. If you don't, I'm giving this job to Pekka Rollins."

"Give me a day. I'll have a plan." Kaz pleads.

"You have until sunrise, then your ship will have sailed, Mr. Brekker. The prize is one million kruge. Now bring me Alina Starkov." Dreeson concluded, giving Kaz no other options.

We were fucked, once again.