I Love You

Elliot offers her his hand and she takes it, almost out of habit, shocking them both. His heady smooth and steady in hers as he leads her away from her table. Olivia's shocked by how natural it feels after so many years, as she follows him out of the banquet hall and into the private garden. Once they've made their way past the other guests, into a private corner of the garden, she pulls her hand from his.

He stands no more than a few inches from her as she waits for him to say something.

Olivia might have been the first one to speak if she was so completely and utterly stunned by his presence. After all these years, she can reach out and touch him, and that alone is enough to leave her speechless. As he stands in front of her in a tuxedo she studies his face, noticing how predictably he's aged, and all the ways in which he seems exactly the same.

Elliot knew he would have to give Olivia time to be shocked, but he hadn't accounted for his own. He had assumed that the mental preparation he had done for this moment over the last several months would serve him well, but as his eyes pour over her, he struggles to take an even breath. Olivia is stunningly beautiful in his memories, perfect really. Chestnut brown hair and deep brown eyes and smile that feels more like home than any place in the world. But he forgot how overwhelming it is in person. Better than every good memory combined.

It's quiet for a few minutes as they look at each other before Elliot breaks the silence. "Honestly, I didn't have anything planned because I didn't think I'd get this far."

As they stare at each other, Olivia can tell that her silence is killing him, and she's not too proud to admit to herself that she enjoys the power she still has over him. It feels good to her to be the one seemingly in control of the situation for the first time in over a decade. Watching him squirm feels like retribution and she bites her tongue, watching him search her face for any hint of how she's feeling.

"Come on, Liv, please say something." Elliot says, leaning in closer, "Anything, tell me you hate me, hit me..."

Olivia surprises even herself when an angry laugh escapes her lips. "Twelve years and you thought the best way to come back is to get on stage in front of everyone we've ever known and say it's an honor to have been my partner?" More than anything else, the use of her nickname is what makes her boil with rage. How dare he? She is not Liv anymore, not to him. She's not anything to him anymore, he made damn sure of that.

"What I don't get points for spontaneity?" He jokes. His attempt to lighten the situation is met with a hard stare and he regrets it immediately. This isn't a squabble over the next move in a case, his attempt to deflect her anger is inappropriate and he knows it. "I should've come to you first, I know. Honestly, I didn't think I was going to show up until today. Kathleen... It was her idea, to show up here. I shouldn't have surprised you."

Olivia laugh, shaking her head at him as she's overcome with a rage she buried almost a decade ago. "Kathleen's idea? That's why you're here?"

Her eyes are cold and seem to pierce straight through Elliot as he looks at her in the moonlight of the garden. Even in her anger she remains beautiful, skin glowing in the white light of the moon, glossy red lips pursed in anger.

"Why are you here?" She asks, her tone colder than he's ever known it to be.

Elliot hesitates. Here in New York? Here at the banquet? He supposes both answers are the same. He's here for her.

"I got a job." He starts, "I've been back in the city for six months, and I've meant to Liv... I really have... I just couldn't figure out how."

"You got a job..." She says quietly, crossing her arms, closing herself off to him. "That makes sense." She feels foolish. Embarrassed by the fleeting idea that he had come back for her. Of course he hadn't.