Caught Red-Handed

Shouta was having a pretty good week. His cats were behaving, he found the best coffee shop ever, and his friends hadn't been as annoying. He should have known that things would start to go downhill at some point.

He was patrolling like usual when he decided to stop by at Izuku's rooftop. He'd started calling it that after a week of Izuku joining him on his patrol. Well, he wouldn't join him on the actual patrol of course, he would just sit, curled up in his pile of blankets muttering and scribbling in that little notebook of his. Shouta would never admit this out loud, but it was quite endearing. 

But for the last two nights, he had not seen little Izuku. He wasn't that worried though, considering the fact that it was always very late when he would show up and perhaps he just needed the extra sleep. At least, he wasn't worried until now.

When he jumped onto Izuku's rooftop, Dabi, Izuku's supposed older brother was standing there.

"What are you doing back here?"

"Eraser." Dabi crossed his arms, a very serious expression on his face. "We need to talk."

"This better be important." Shouta narrowed his eyes. "I'm kinda on patrol right now."

"It is." Dabi stated simply. "It's about Izuku."

Shouta immediately stood up straight, now much more interested in what this guy had to say.

"What about Izuku? Is he okay?"

Dabi sighed, and ran a scarred hand down his face. "No. No he's not."

Shouta felt his heart skip a beat. Was he hurt? Was he in danger? What could have happened?

"What happened? Do you know where he is?" Shouta tried not to sound desperate, but he got the feeling that it wasn't working very well.

"No." Dabi shook his head. "I don't. But a friend of his told me that his parents hurt him pretty badly two days ago, and he hasn't seen him since."

"They what!?" Shouta growled, stepping closer to Dabi.

"That's what his friend told me." Dabi said calmly, although inside he was freaking out. "I was hoping that as a pro hero, you could go to his house and make sure everything is as it should be and if it's not..."

Shouta's eyes narrowed. "Of course. I need to go now. Thanks for letting me know. I'll get to it right away."

Dabi nodded. "I have no doubt, but before you leave there's one more thing you should know."

Shouta crossed his arms. "What?"

"Izuku has a quirk."

>*<

After leaving Izuku's rooftop, Shouta immediately called Naomasa. It only took a few seconds for him to answer.

"Shouta. What's the problem." Naomasa said, getting straight to the point.

"I need adoptions papers prepared." 

"I'm sorry. What?" Naomasa asked in surprise, thinking this was a very out of character for Shouta. He wasn't the type to adopt on the spur of the moment. Not in the least bit. 

"Do you remember that kid I've told you about. The one with the fluffy green hair and--"

"Big emerald eyes that you just can't say no to?" Naomasa finished for him. "Yeah, of course. You talk about him all the time."

Shouta let out an annoyed huff. "Well I just got a tip from someone that his parents are quite possibly abusive."

"Oh, how awful. I hope for the boy's sake that it's not true." Naomasa muttered, shuffling papers in the background. "But just in case if it is, I'll get those adoption papers ready."