Arc 2 chapter 3: island exam part 2

"The test has already begun. I cannot answer any questions that might possibly influence your results."
"Uh...that's a kinda freaky answer."
"I don't think there are any wild animals here. If one of the students were injured, that would be a big problem. They probably gave us these watches solely to manage your well-being. Don't you agree? We're on an uninhabited island, after all, so the school has to ensure no one...gets hurt." Ryuuen said, rather suggestively.
Indeed, the school had gifted us these watches to keep us safe. If we were roaming freely about the island, the teachers wouldn't be able to monitor our condition with their eyes alone. Plus, it would be difficult to install cameras here, like inside the school. They most likely intended to monitor our physical condition so they could respond to any unforeseen circumstances. The helicopter back in the ships was probably there in case of just such an emergency. As people received their watches, they placed them on either their right or left arm, according to their preferences.
"Is it okay for us to get in the water with these?"
"There shouldn't be any problem. They're waterproof. However, should they malfunction, immediately report to a test administrator and exchange it for a replacement."
This special test was somewhat eccentric in its design, so it likely wasn't the first time the school had run it. Clearly, they had planned for various situations. However, there might have been some oversights.
"Sakagami-sensei. I understand that we're going to be spending one week on this island, but is it possible to get by without using any points?"
"Hmm. Well, the school isn't involved in the test process at all. That means that you must prepare your own food and water. Thinking of solutions to resolve the issue is part of the test. I don't know if any way of doing so without points."
The girls looked visibly more perplexed than the boys. The fact that a bed wasn't guaranteed probably made them feel uneasy."
"If you check your manual to the last page, you will see a list of penalties. This very important information encapsulates the difficulties of the test. It will determine whether you live or die."
On the last page, a line read: these penalties will be applied to anyone who falls under the following conditions:

Anyone who is deemed unable to continue the test due to significant deterioration in health or serious injury will be penalised by thirty points. That student will then retire.

In the event a student has polluted the environment, he or she will be penalised twenty points.

In the event students are absent during the 8AM or 8PM roll call, five points will be taken for each absent student.

However, the most serious punishment was detailed in the fourth entry on the list:

In the event a student is found guilty of an act of violence toward another class, robbing another class, or causing damage to another class' property, etc., the offending students' class will immediately be disqualified, and the individual will forfeit all of his or her private points.

It looked like class A was subject to these same penalties. The fourth rule was totally reasonable, written to prevent students from engaging in harmful behaviour, while the other three rules were clearly there so individual students wouldn't behave carelessly. Because we had roll call in the morning and at night, it was impossible to sleep your time away at camp. It was also meant to suppress rather barbaric behaviour, like a student littering everywhere.
Essentially it was a contest of restraint.
"You are free to behave as you wish. However, if ten students fall into poor health, then all your efforts will be for nothing. Once a student has retired from the test, he or she cannot come back."
The students who had thought it possible to get through the test by relying on their own endurance now looked perplexed. It would be impossible not to spend a single point, but that was true of every class. However, whether you actively participated or resigned yourself to your fate in this test, endurance alone would not win the day here.
How would we use our points effectively, save them, and get through this week?
Gradually, the shape of this very literal "special test" became clearer.
"In other words, using at least some points is unavoidable?" Asked Manabe, who'd been following the conversation.
There was a wide variety of items for purchase in the manual: essential equipment for surviving, like tents and cookware; machines and tools, like digital cameras and wireless transceivers/walkie-talkies; items for amusement, like umbrellas, floats, stuff for a barbecue, and fireworks; and food and water, the bare essentials.
We could prepare for anything with our points. Apparently anyone could request something, and just report to their homeroom teacher in order to use points and purchase it.
"Sakagami-sensei, can I ask something? In the event that someone were to retire after we had already used all 300 points, what would happen?" Asked Ryuuen.
"In that case, all that would increase is the number of people forced to retire. Your points can't be changed any more after reaching 0."
"So, in other words, we can't get into negative points during the test?"
Sakagami-sensei answered in the affirmative. Mashima-sensei had said that there wouldn't be any negative effects from this test. It looked like that was true. Sakagami-sensei continued talking, occasionally glancing at his wristwatch to check the time.
"Each one of the supplied tents is large enough to accommodate eight people. The tents weigh close to 15 kilos, so please be careful when carrying them. Also, the school will not step in to help should your supplied items become lost or damaged. In the event that you need a new tent, remember to use your points.