Side story: Ayanokouji

I know this is kind of sudden, but, please, it will only take a moment. I want your honest opinion.

Are people equal or not?

A proper society will constantly strive for equality. There are those who clamour for men and women to always be considered equal. As a result, we raised the employment rate for women, we made specialised subway cars only for women. Sometimes, women will even argue over the order of names in a family register. The public opinion of people with disabilities has also changed. We're now told that we should not use the term "disabled people" when referring to them, so as not to discriminate. Nowadays, children are taught that all people are equal.

But is that true? I had my doubts. If men and women had different abilities, then their roles should differ. People with disabilities are still disabled, no matter what polite euphemisms you use. No matter how you try to avert your eyes, the meaning of the word does not change:

So my answer would be, "no, we are not equal." To be human is to be unequal. Equality does not exist.

Long ago, in a bygone era, a great man said that heaven does not place one man above or below any other. However, he did not necessarily adhere to the idea that everyone is equal. Did you know that there is more to that famous passage? The rest goes like this:

everyone is equal when they are born, so I ask, why do we see differences in position and status?

And it continues:

Do you or do you not encourage learning to create a difference?

So then, education creates an imbalance. The point's spelled out there, in the incredibly famous work Gakumon no Sume.

It was strange. I had once attended a high school called ANHS. The education system their was unique. It required people to advance to class A to be guaranteed a place in society. That environment allowed anyone to succeed, as long as they were talented enough. And that was the root of the problem.

Natural talent trumps education

But what if it didn't have to be like this? What if I could create an environment that would allow any person to thrive with the right education. I was talking with one of the people I had kept contact with from that school, Kouenji. He felt similar to me, in many respects. I was now a prominent member in the Japanese government, and he owned the Kouenji conglomerate, one of the major corporations of Japan. We were what the school intended to produce: leaders.

But we hadn't earned these positions due to our merit. We had earned them because we were cunning enough to dupe our schoolmates. It wasn't fair. I didn't want a society like that to continue.

So I had talked with Kouenji, and we had devised a plan. We called it the 'white room'. It would allow us to educate children in a controlled environment, and we had just started work educating the fourth batch of subjects.

There were some who opposed this idea, saying it was cruel, and threatening to take legal action. Horikita had been a notable example. He was too focused on the negative aspects the project had, and he couldn't see the positives. I tried to reason with him, but eventually I had to have him silenced. His wife, too.

"Ayanokouji, what's wrong?" My wife, Ichinose, asked.

"Nothing, I'm just...thinking about work, is all." I lied.

"Hm. Well, can you take care of the children for today? I've got my own work to worry about too." She said.

Ichinose knew about the white room, but had turned a blind eye, knowing that I was doing it for the future of Japan, a view she shared.

"Actually...I was thinking of taking them to my work, one time." I said.

Her face darkened.

"Don't say that." She scowled slightly.

"Y-yeah...sorry." I apologised.

"Look, I don't mind if you want to do that with orphans who have no better option, but you're not doing this to my...to our children." She said.

Just then, the twins came in.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Kiyo-onii-chan wet the bed." Honami said.

"Right, well. Can I leave this to you?" Wifey said, looking at me.

"Yeah, don't worry about it." I said.

She left the house then, and I didn't know that I wouldn't see her for a long time.

20 minutes after she left, I got the kids in the car, and drove them to the white room. What would be the harm in just a few days, just to help them develop a little.

Just as I had thought, they were fine. Their day had gone great. Tomorrow, I'd start putting them through some actual training, but for now, I'd just put them to bed.

I went to Honami's room, but she wasn't there. I went outside, and walked along the corridor. Several of the guards were injured, and I saw one with a snapped neck. I kept walking along. I knew it was her that did this.

Sure enough, I walked outside, and she was putting Honami in the car.

"Wait!" I said.

She turned towards me with a gun in her hand.

"Don't take another step!" She shouted.

I stopped, and put my hands behind my back.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm saving my children." She had tears in her eyes.

"You mean...child? I only see Honami in there."

"I couldn't find Kiyotaka, probably because you're hiding him somewhere, you sick freak." She screamed.

"W-we can talk about this..." I said, taking a step forwards.

"I SAID NOT ANOTHER STEP!" She said, and shot me in the knee.

It hurt so much, it was fucking agony. I saw her get in the car and drive away.

It didn't matter. I still had my son.

I knew he could surpass all my expectations one day. I'll find my wife, and my daughter. One day.

Authors notes
1019 words
A blast from the past lol.
I don't think this chapter was very well written, idk. What do you think?
Hope you all enjoyed.