Chapter one

Not too far from Twoleg-place and just approaching the clan's territories, a svelte figure entered the forest. Her lithe white-and-amber fur glistened in the sunlight that splashed down onto the emerald-green forest floor as she kept her nose up for any scent of prey.

Beyond the abundance of greenery and trees, the figure quietly made her way over to a nearby puddle where she stood to admire herself. The she-cat stared down into the sparking pool of water, her eyes twinkling as her reflection stared back into her pure golden gaze. She was an unusually unique feline, her soft snow-white fur accompanied by those honey-colored stripes made her stand out compared to the rest of the cats she had come across in the CarrionPlace.

Her paws also shared the sweet honey-coating, while her pads and nose were a bright pink. Her name was Golden, and for as long as she knew it, she was a loner.

Golden, as proud of herself as she was, never had any other cat to comfort her. She had remembered her mother vaguely, who had disappeared out of her life sometime while she was still a kit. Golden couldn't quite remember how, but she faintly recognized how harsh living alone while carrying a young kitten could be, perhaps she was abandoned. She was a single kitty, no siblings ever apparent. She never knew her father, but she had hoped one day they would cross paths again, and tell him everything she had learned while wandering the windy streets of local cities and the skills she had acquired.

Golden twitched her ear. She remembered all the moons she had spent after her mother had left her. From the few lessons she had been taught, she had learned how to properly defend herself on her own, picking fights with other rogues around the block all so she could feed on leftover crowfood or roadkill. Yet, despite the years she had spent alone and hostile, she yearned for a more fulfilling life. She stopped to picture her mother, though visions came with a blurr, she thought about how she must've come to be. Her mother had to be in love at some point, but why? Why have kits when you later go on to dump them into the Carrionplace? Golden flattened her ears. She had pictured herself in her mothers position, maybe having a loving mate and a kit she would actually care for, but that fantasy had seemed so far off from her future, she couldn't properly imagine.

All cats she knew from the city and Carrionplace were definitely not her type, hostile and stingy for fresh-kills and shelter. How could she ever settle down with anyone if all the cats she knew just wanted a better way of living themselves? Would they even want to stay with her after she was expecting kits? Or run away like her father? She couldn't even picture any friends she had ever made, loners just weren't like that. It was kill or get killed, fight or back away and return home to an empty stomach, everyone was a traitor But Golden was smart, she knew when she sensed danger, and the best way to avoid getting into trouble in her case, was to just avoid it at all costs.

Golden turned away from the puddle, staring back at Twoleg-place. She had recalled talking to a few kittypets that lived near her side of the stretch, though overly friendly (something that had disinterested Golden more than she would've liked to admit) the stories and warnings she would gain from them heavily interested her. One thing they would always talk about; the forest. How cats that enter it never return, facing the claws of the forest cats and clan cats that would shred them into pieces. Golden merrowed at that, she couldn't believe something so ridiculous. Especially a rogue as rebellious as herself, no cat would stand in her way, and if they did, she would not back down for a challenge. But now that she was here, rather than ready for a fight she found herself puzzled. The emerald-green trees and blossoms seemed attractive and peaceful, birds chirping at every turn. How could anyone be so scared of someplace so beautiful? All patches of grass were green and tousled in the breeze while a nearby creek splashed and whished around. Yet, here she was, entering deeper and deeper into the woods as if it didn't even bother her. What surprised her most was the small, thinned out trail she had been traveling on, it seemed otherworldly animals, maybe even cats walked down it by the paw prints she stopped to look at, though she shrugged at them and continued padding deeper into the unknown. Something about experiencing the unknown excited her, and her tail swished in excitement as she took in the handful of scents around her.