1: Breakthrough

- "Oh yeah you gonna cry?" By Lovejoy is now playing - 

"Now Now, you need to calm down, what goods this energy."

I hummed along to the song blasting in my ears while sitting on the floor of my workshop, fixing up what I hope'd to be the final touches on my little "Project"

This Project of course, was something that I'd been devoting my spare time too in the last couple of years, and if it worked, I would make history. What's this machine?

"When you devote it to me, why not be a little more friendly?"

A time machine. 

And yes, I know what you're probably thinking. But considering I have a bit of a god complex, and just enough knowledge in the field of science, I thought 'If no one can do it, than I'll do it'. 

Who's knows, maybe I'll get lucky and be able to rip a hole into time and space. That'd be kinda fun. Maybe not for everyone else, but for me it would. 

"Now now, you need to calm down. Does she still think of me-"

Suddenly the music stopped playing and I realized that I was getting a phone call.

Annoyed, I looked over my shoulder to see that my phone was indeed ringing. The little icon showing that it was my mom. 

I sighed, putting my tools down and walking over to my messy desk. 

"hey mom, what's up?" I grabbed a towel off the ground and wiped the sweat off my forehead.

"Hey honey I just wanted to call and, you know, check up on you. We don't hear from you much any more," she laughed bitterly. 

"Oh well," I looked around my shop, trying to remember if there was anything new in my life recently, "you know, same old same old. I- Uh- started talking to this lady about working at a car shop." Which, was only partially the truth. 

I had actually talked to this lady about buying scrap metal from her, and as I was leaving she threw an application in my hand and practically begged me to submit it. 

"Oh thats wonderful dear. I don't supposed you have talked to any new people recently?"

I almost laughed, "Mom, I know you want me to find someone else so I can move on from...you know... but-"

She cut me off "You know I met this charming young lady at the hair salon yesterday. I told her all about you, I think you two would get along swell-" 

"Ahem," I coughed, "No thanks, mom. I'm still just trying to focus on my work, and I'd rather not go through the pain of having another relationship. 'Love' can wait.

"Thats not what you used to say," she grumbled for a second before remembering another topic she wanted to talk about, "Oh! I found this wonderful sale at Costco the other day, they had these cute little footy pajamas and it reminded me of-" 

"Um, mom? I love how you wanna chat but I've got work that I need to be doing. I'll call you later tonight. I swear it. I'm so close to a breakthrough mom."

I could feel her disappointment radiating through the screen, "..Okay dear, just be careful. And if you better call me! I have something important that I need to tell you. Love you." 

"Love you too mom," quickly, perhaps a little too quickly, I pressed the end call button and sat back in my chair, sliding my phone in my pocket and enjoying the silence. 

If there was one thing that I didn't inherit from my mom, it's her ability to talk for hours about absolutely nothing. She could ramble on and on about what she made for breakfast, or a new hallmark show that she was watching, or even how bad the customer service was at Waffle House.