Day of Inauguration

The weekend crept up on me like I was prey. However, the joke is on them because I accept danger with open arms. At least, that was the mindset I was trying to have in order to prepare myself for today. Mixed with fear, was excitement. Knowing that there was a high chance I may not return to this bedroom later made my time seem more valuable. I hear the sound of plates clattering downstairs; guess my sisters are making lunch. I had already eaten though, cereal bars tend to suffice. I flick my light switch off and I make my way downstairs. Father was passed out on his chair in the living room. I sigh when I come to the conclusion that he had been drinking again. What a loser. Vodka couldn't be that good...

I leave my house without saying a word and head to my car. I start it up and proceed to drive to my destination. Early this morning, America texted me 5:55 on the dot. I don't think I want to know why he was up that early. And it's not like he put a casual "hey" or at least tell me who he was; all I get is a random address from an unknown number. How fucking ominous of him. However, being that I only have 5 phone numbers saved in my phone and no one else texts me in general, I knew it was him. His stupid ass didn't even put a time. So he better not complain that I show up past noon.

I arrive to a small abandoned building; it had vines and shrubs growing on the side of it. Not a single car was parked near it. What a sad desolated place; was America really in here? Why did he choose this place; he better not try to murder me or I'll beat his scrawny little ass.

As I make my way to the front door, I hear muffled music. I knock on the door and wait for a reply; I received none. I attempt to open the door and to my surprise it was unlocked. I step inside and I scare the birds that were perched above the wood planks on the ceiling. It was a well lit place. The walls had giant windows that emitted a golden light. I could see dust particles dancing in the sunlight. The floor softly creeks as I advance in my steps. I hear the music more clearly now, it was coming from another room. I follow the sound and see America playing the piano in a giant empty room. He keeps his eyes closed as he plays his classical music; not even acknowledging me. He was so fucking weird. I watch him play, his face was softened and he seemed to completely be at peace. It was welcoming. I walk over to him and call his name. "America?" He only continues to play. I sigh and feel myself start to get comfortable. I sit below him as I wait for him to finish.

He finally opens his eyes and glances over to me with a smile. He stops playing and begins to play a tune I was too familiar with. Chopin's Nocturne No. 20 in C-Sharp Minor. I feel butterflies increase in my stomach by every piano key he presses. I remember when father taught me how to dance to this; America was playing this song on purpose. He expected me to know it. I arise to my feet; if it's a show he wants, it'll be a show he gets.

I stretch and begin to ballet dance to his playing. It felt so freeing. I dance around the piano and I feel his eyes watch me in wonder. I've never danced in front of anyone before, it felt a little uncomfortable but I sort of always wanted to do it. We somewhat had aligned interests so I didn't feel as embarrassed. It felt safe and judgement free. It was nice to have someone with the same taste appreciate my performance. I soon hear his keys sounding more and more emotional. So to keep up; I allow the music to control me. It possesses me and I dance my little heart out. I close my eyes and envision to be somewhere else. The song is slow; yet, powerful. I don't wear my proper shoes, it causes my feet and toes to start to hurt. I ignore the pain and proceed to dance.

His playing comes to an end so I wrap up my dance. He stares at me with a warming smile and he fills the air with an applause. "You're a natural." he says. I bow with a small smile. America stands up and leans against the piano. "I was waiting seven hours for you to show up."

"You never told me what time I had to show up; that's on you." I spit without an ounce of remorse.

"I know." he chuckles, "I needed a few hours to figure out how to get this piano in here." I stare at him baffled. No fucking way did he bring that piano here. "Why... why would you do that?" I ask.