Fever Dream

And tomorrow certainly did come. I found myself waking up at exactly 5:30 am and I had awaited for word from the American. Once again at 5:55 he had texted me, this time however, it wasn't sketchy- he sent me words that read: "Good morning, text me when you are ready!"

Within minutes I tell him that I was ready now. I was prepared; I made sure to get myself together quietly without disturbing my family. America hearts my message and tells me he will pick me up in 5 minutes. I creep downstairs and wait by the door. No one was awake but me; good thing too- how would I explain to someone that I was going to hang out with a guy this early in the morning without a clue of where we were going. Then I remember that no one would even bother to interrogate me. My family doesn't even talk to me anymore.

5 minutes pass and I was now in the car with America. The sun greets us as it slowly rises and coats the entire town in its warm golden light.

"What's on the agenda for today?" I ask him- even though I already knew that he won't tell me.

"You'll see..." he says ominously, "Did you eat breakfast yet?"

"Cereal bar." I tell him.

"Good, an excuse to get coffee." He breaks a sharp left that almost causes me to hit my damn head on the window. "Fuck!" I shout. "Calm the hell down you psychopath!" I demand. Maybe I should put my seatbelt on... I go reach for it but there isn't even one there. Fucking typical America... He falls into another laughing fit.

After we get our coffees from a drive through, he takes us to a little farm on the countryside. We step out of the car and now stand in front of a foreboding wild corn maze. He begins a long tangent while I sip my black coffee. "This farm house has been abandoned for many decades; over the years, I hear these savage dogs started roaming their corn fields. Since then, no one dares trespassing these grounds..." he shifts his gaze over to all the warning signs that read "No trespassing", "Caution", "Beware of dog", and etc...

Huh, I started ignoring all of those...

"Okay..." I start, "So let me guess America, we will be searching for these dogs?" He chuckles loosely, "Close!" he admits, "Instead we will be avoiding them to complete the maze." He takes a few steps towards me and digs into his pockets. He then holds both of his hands out clenched in a ball; when he opens them, he reveals a white mushrooms in each palm.

"One of these mushrooms is a Marasmius oreades, completely safe to eat... while the other is a Clitocybe rivulosa, highly poisonous... You pick whichever mushroom you want to eat; the one you don't pick will be the one I eat..." he explains.

I swallow the last drop of my coffee and throw the cup to the ground. A choice like this was too thrilling- I hold my hand out, hesitant of which to choose... "I must compliment that you are getting very creative..." I tell him. He smiles benevolently, "Thank you... I try."

"I have an idea up my sleeve, close your eyes..." I tell him, he listens and does exactly what I had requested. I remove the caps of both the mushrooms and switch them. America opens his eyes and grins. "Oh you want us both to suffer then huh?"

I nod and I take the dismembered parts of the mushroom from one of his hands and pop it into my mouth. I almost spit the atrocity out because of how terrible it tasted- but I endure the awful pain on my tastebuds and swallow it. He replicated my exact action; I watch as his face momentarily turns sour before regaining his original poker face.

"The side effects from the poisonous one takes about 30 minutes to kick in..." he tells.

"What are the side effects?" I ask. He only smiles maliciously.

I sigh defeatedly, "Right... more suspenseful if I didn't know..." He laughs at my response. Our gaze then shifts over to the corn maze. I stare at it baffled. "America, where is the entrance?"