Chapter 2: A Forest of Tranquility

Shanghai 

Sitting down in a forest shrine outside the city, Jiang was relaxing and listening to the birds and water fountain.

POV Jiang Li

Holding a light smile as the music of the birds and water fill my ears, I close my eyes and relax. Peace and quiet, away from the noisy city. Who knew how desirable that would be for a fool like me who grew up knowing nothing but war and death? 

Tap Tap

Tilting my head to listen. 

Hmm, I wonder who is coming up here. Perhaps another on a journey seeking solace and harmony? I suppose we shall find out soon enough once they have finished climbing the stairway.

Tap Tap

As the sound of wooden sandles make their way up the stone steps of the shrine I await patiently for my apparent guest and partner, remaining in relaxation. If they wish to speak with me, I am sure they will let me know.

Tap Tap

"Lord Li?"

Ah, Sen. I wonder why she came here.

"What can I do for you Lady Sen?" 

"No one had seen you in several hours and the others were unsure where you had gone." As she approaches the wooden platform I am sitting on, removing her footwear before standing on it in front of me.

Opening an eye slightly to look at her.

(Minus the rigging)

(Minus the rigging)

"I suppose that withdrawing for most of the day would be alarming for a few of them, but I trust you were able to deal with any potential situations that arose in my absence, yes?" 

While I was speaking to her, she sits before me.

"Yes, my lord. The destroyers were saddened by your sudden disappearance, but Chen Hai was able to sooth their worries for the time being." 

Sighing, I fully open my eyes to look at her.

"No true rest exists except for death it seems, especially for those in a position of authority over others." Glancing around to the forest that surrounds us. 

"Tell me, what do you think of the forest? Being a lady of the ocean I would imagine you have a particularly unique perspective compared to a human who lives on the dry land, unable to skate across the grand oceans like you so gracefully do." 

Her face tightens for a moment contemplating a response to the question perhaps she had not entirely considered the idea before? Hmm, I do wonder what kind of answer she will give.