Definitons / Disclaimers

You can skip this chapter and go straight to the story, but I suggest reading if you're not familiar with manga / anime slang terms!!

Definitions:

Yuri ("Lily" in English) – a genre of Japanese manga that involves intimacy between two women, focusing on lesbian romance and sexuality.

Girls' Love ("Shoujo ai" in Japanese) – a genre of Japanese manga that incorporates all kinds of love shared between girls and is associated with 'pureness' and 'innocence' by many readers as it is highly influenced by stereotypes that women are 'purer' than men. Not all Girls' Love does this though, and you can find many Girls' Love that is highly realistic and a good representation of gay women.

Princely Girls – A common trope in the Girls' Love genre. A Princely girl character is someone who is boyish but not in the same way as a tomboy, as they are generally perceived to be more polite, chivalrous, and maintain the qualities a stereotypical prince would have. Princely Girls will often show up in manga set in Female-only schools, as girls will typically fall for their masculine traits in the absence of men.

Gyaru – A Japanese fashion subculture inspired by western ideals of beauty. Often hyperfeminine and bright, this subculture rejects the expectation of conforming to society and favours standing out. For instance, many gyarus have blonde hair and will prefer to be tan rather than be pale, regardless of beauty expectations for women to be pale in Japan. (I recommend googling some pictures of Gyarus to get the best idea)

Kogyaru – Gyaru fashion inspired by school uniforms.

Disclaimer: At the start, our main character Haruka has a very idealised perception of Highschool and lesbian love in general. Although at the start she favours pureness and innocence over certain other qualities, she will quickly learn that these stereotypes are not necessarily true, and that women do not need to be 'innocent' in order to be feminine OR need to be innocent and pure in order to be considered 'good people'. This series will also go over some of the ways that GL is problematic, but in the end it is also a light-hearted series! This isn't really supposed to be a full on social commentary, it will just go over a few aspects I personally noticed / don't agree with.

This series is heavily inspired by GL series that I have read and loved! Shout out to GL authors!!!