Chapter Six

When Cole comes to it's not all at once, like slowly waking up. She doesn't open her eyes right away; she almost thinks she's back home in her own bed until she remembers what happened. Cole doesn't move, lying as still as possible, straining her ears for the slightest sound. She doesn't hear anything, or rather, she doesn't hear any signs of people - are vampires people? They're not human, but they are alive, making them people, right?

"I can come back later if you'd rather keep pretending that you're asleep," Jasper says, breaking through the silence.

"Isn't it kind of creepy that you're watching me sleep?" Cole responds, still not opening her eyes.

"I wasn't," Jasper says, and even though her eyes are closed, she can tell that he's smirking. "And technically, you weren't asleep; you fainted."

"Well, I'm awake now, so you'll have to find someone else to watch."

He scoffs, "do I look like Edward to you? Besides, someone had to keep an eye on you. You've been out for more than an hour."

"What?"

"Nevermind."

"You are so strange."

He doesn't respond, and she doesn't say anything either. Her vision is blurry when she opens her eyes, but the blinking helps clear away the fog this time. Obviously, she's never been inside, but it doesn't take much to figure out that Jasper moved her to the living room. The living room - inside the Cullens house, she's in a vampire's house without thinking. Cole bolts upright and immediately regrets it when the movement is followed by a wave of dizziness.

"I would slow down if I were you unless you're aiming for a repeat performance," Jasper says, not bothering to move from his spot on the couch.

"I need to go home," Cole says, breathing through the waves of nausea, putting her head between her knees. "Like right now."

"Relax, Darlin', it's not like you're being held hostage," Jasper says, finally turning to look at her. "But unless you want me to carry you, I suggest waiting until you can walk straight."

That doesn't do much to calm her nerves; being held hostages wasn't precisely what she was worried about. But before she can say anything, Carlisle walks in before they can address the elephant in the room. He's dressed for work like he came straight from the hospital, but he came from the kitchen, pale hands gripping a mug of some steaming liquid.

"You gave us quite the scare back there," he says, and Cole lifts her head to meet his eyes. "Drink this; it will make you feel better."

Cole nods; she accepts the mug, the cup's warmth almost comforting against her skin. Up close, Cole can see that it's some kind of tea. It smells faintly floral and sweet, but she can't tell what kind it is. She brings it closer to her face, inhaling deeply, but she doesn't make a move to drink it.

"I haven't poisoned it if that's what you're concerned about," Carlisle says, patiently watching as Cole sheepishly lowers the mug from her face.

"Carlisle is right; if I was going to kill you, Cole, you would already be dead," Jasper says nonchalantly. Cole just flinches, not bothering to respond whilst Carlisle sends him a stern look.

"I can only apologise for Jasper's lack of manners, but I think he's trying to say that neither he nor the rest of our family has any intentions of harming," he says gently. "I would be happy to drive you home."

"Then why does it feel like there's a but coming?" Cole interrupts before she brings the mug to her lips and drinks. She doesn't drink much tea, so she can't tell by taste, but it's warm like cinnamon and sweet like honey. It's sweet, almost too sweet.