Chapter 1: Late 20th Century

A/N: I started writing this collection of one-shots on a whim, and I didn't know it'd blow up like it did. This first chapter does no justice to the quality I'm actually capable of rendering, when I wish to. If you truly wish to get a taste of my work, read from the second chapter onwards. :))

It was a pleasant summer morning when Bondita, a bright girl of 16, decided to visit the library in the village.

As she entered the doorway, her eyes found a young, handsome man (Anirudh, 19) leaning against the counter barely a feet or two away.

He held a couple of books in his hands, probably waiting for the librarian to come back. His eyes were dreamy, almost intoxicating, as his lashes curled up reflecting the beauty of a perfect human countenance(face).

He looked up, straight at Bondita. His eyes gradually found their way to her eyes– the very shades of ebony now began to work their magic on him.

Anirudh: Kya hua? Meri aankhon mein kuchh laga tha kya?

Bondita: Nahin toh, voh main...voh-

Anirudh: Par shayad tumhare chehre par kuchh laga hai, mai hata deta hoon.

Before Bondita could protest, Anirudh made his way towards her. He leaned into her and pushed her against the wall.
Good thing the library was empty today.
It might bear witness to a few not-so-innocent acts. Or maybe not.

Anirudh's finger traced the jawline of Bondita, to her cheek, and then to the crease of her eyelid– agonisingly slowly. He picked something out and showed it to the now-blushing woman– it was a fallen lash.

Anirudh: Apni palkon ko sambhaal kar rakha karo, bahut keemti hoti hain. Ek palak kho di, toh samjho ek adhoori khwaahish kho di.

Bondita: Tum kismat mein maante ho?

Anirudh: Nahin maanta, toh tumhein dekhkar yoon kareeb kyun aata? Aisa lagta hai jaise saalon se jaanta hoon...

He said, more to himself than to Bondita.

Not a moment after, Anirudh checked his watch only to realise that he was late for his Kaka's pooja.
The only destiny he would be tied to, would be one of forgiveness if he didn't make it to the pooja.

Anirudh: Achchha, main chalta hoon. Kismat ne milaaya toh phir milenge.

He started scurrying away in a rush, when Bondita asked his name.

Bondita: Arre apna naam toh bataao, suit-waale babu!

Anirudh: Anirudh!

Bondita: Aur main Bondita!

Anirudh smiled to himself and thought 'Bondita... namati mishti' before leaving for the event.