Chapter 18: A Mother-in-law Found [END-- part 4]

The sun's gentle rays streamed through the window, gently coaxing Bondita awake. As she rubbed the sleep from her eyes and stretched her limbs, a wave of curiosity and enthusiasm washed over her. Her room, adorned with books and stationery gifted by Anirudh, filled her with delight. The memories of their conversation from the previous night resurfaced, evoking a smile as she recalled how he had opened her mind to various subjects. Anirudh had become her teacher, her guide, igniting a newfound confidence and ambition within her.

Bondita felt a surge of respect and admiration for Anirudh, longing to impress him with her growing knowledge and skills. She yearned to make him proud, to show him that she was deserving of his trust and unwavering support. With determination in her heart, she rose from her bed and made her way to the bathroom to freshen up. Donning a simple yet elegant white saree, she accessorized with the watch Anirudh had given her. After neatly arranging her hair into a bun, she admired her reflection in the mirror, feeling a surge of intellect and readiness.

Deciding it was time to greet everyone downstairs, especially Shubhra, Bondita wanted to express her gratitude for accepting her as a daughter-in-law and supporting her education alongside Anirudh. She yearned to deepen their bond, to learn from Shubhra's wisdom and experiences, to engage in intellectual discussions.

Descending the staircase, Bondita recited a poem, the words dancing on her lips. Shubhra sat on the sofa, engrossed in the morning paper. Upon noticing Bondita's approach, she smiled warmly, gesturing for her to take a seat beside her.

"Good morning, Bondita," Shubhra greeted affectionately.

"Good morning, Ma," Bondita replied, taking her place beside Shubhra. "How are you today?"

"I'm well, dear. And yourself? Did you sleep soundly?" inquired Shubhra.

"Yes, Ma. I had a wonderful night's sleep. Pati Babu and I had an enlightening conversation. He taught me so much, Ma—history, geography, science, math. He taught me the art of problem-solving and critical thinking. He instilled curiosity and confidence in me, Ma," Bondita beamed.

Shubhra felt a surge of emotion listening to Bondita's words. Happiness enveloped her as she realized her son and his wife had discovered one another amidst life's chaotic tapestry. Anirudh, who had triumphed over his past, now embraced the present. Hope blossomed for Bondita, her potential and promise shining brightly.

Reaching out, Shubhra affectionately patted Bondita's head, sensing a bond of love and respect growing between them.

"I am overjoyed for you, Bondita. You're truly fortunate to have Anirudh as your husband. He is good, noble, and courageous. He will always protect and support you, imparting his wisdom as your teacher. Moreover, you're equally lucky to have me as your mother-in-law," Shubhra playfully teased.

Bondita nodded, a smile illuminating her face.

"Yes, Ma. I am indeed fortunate. You are the epitome of a mother-in-law. Kind, generous, wise, and resilient. You embraced me wholeheartedly into your family, standing up for me when others doubted. Your support means the world to me," Bondita expressed genuinely.

Shubhra smiled, enveloping Bondita in a gentle embrace.

"Thank you, Bondita. You are a blessing to us all. Although you're my daughter-in-law, I hope you'll soon become my daughter, my friend, my confidante. You hold a special place in my heart, dear," Shubhra confided.

Bondita returned the embrace, a smile illuminating her features.

"Thank you, Ma. You are my mother-in-law, but I hope you'll also become my mother, my friend, my mentor. You too have a special place in my heart, Ma," Bondita shared sincerely.