Chapter 12: Always the baby

Blurred lights passed them as Sebastian's truck passed through the bright city. Zoey kept her eyes trained out the window.

The car was filled with uncomfortable silence, you could cut it with a knife. Zoey was the hardest time communicating with Sebastian, and she wasn't sure why.

"So, um, where are we going?" she asked, realizing this would have been a good thing to ask early on in the night.

"We're going to meet some of my friends."

Zoey nodded as she wrapped her arms tightly against herself.

She wasn't sure how much time passed, but eventually, they pulled into a familiar parking spot. Bright neon words shone pink light down on the cars. Night lights club.

Zoey inwardly groaned. She hated this place.

"What are we doing here?"

"Well, for one, it's the only place that will let in underage drinkers. And two, you ask too many questions."

Did I? she seemed to recall only asking him two. But a certain Beast would agree with him on that one.

Zoey followed him inside, and the bouncer did indeed ignore her age as he did last time. The place was unbelievably loud and smelled like sweat and alcohol.

Zoey was able to take a better look around this time as last time, she was in too much pain to be aware of her surroundings. The place was extensive with two floors. The second floor had balconies that looked down at the people dancing. It also had minimal lighting besides the bar and a few tables with brighter lighting.

Zoey felt out of place as she looked at the other women here. They strode around confidently like they owned the place. She hoped, with time, she would be more like that.

Zoey followed Sebastian to a table where three other men and a woman sat.

"Seb! We've waited forever for you, man. What took you so long?" One of the men asked. He looked the friendliest out of the group with his playful smile. While the others looked annoyed.

"Sorry Jay, I was with Adam."

The group looked over to Zoey once they noticed she was with Sebastian.

"Oh, this is Zoey. She's Adam's sister."

Zoey waved at them, but she tucked her hand back to her side when no one made a reaction.

"Right, you're the unaccomplished sister."

Zoey's jaw dropped right open at Jay's comments. She didn't realize Adam talked about her in that way.

"It's alright, though. Nothing to be ashamed of. You're still young."

Zoey choked out an awkward chuckle. She didn't like that she already had a reputation.

Sebastian had Zoey sit down next to Jay as it seemed the others weren't too keen on her being there. He left, letting them know he'd be back. Zoey was eager to follow him as she didn't want to be left alone with strangers. Even though he was still a stranger to her.

"How do you all know Adam?"

Jay was the only one who responded.

"We all work with him."

Zoey nodded, but truth be told, she had no idea where Adam worked. She knew it was some company in the city, but that was it. She didn't really care to find out until now.

"How old are all of you?"

Zoey was curious if all the people Adam spent his time with were young, like Sebastian.