Chapter 19: Something in common

Zoey played with the ends of her hair as she stared up at the ceiling. It had been a few hours since she was carried back to the house and left there.

Rackety bangs came from the front of the house as they repaired the door. Linda suggested they move into another house as this one was old and would take many repairs. Zoey declined her offer. She felt more comfortable in this little one than in someone else's. She also got the feeling that Jaxson would disapprove.

Zoey's door creaked open, and her eyes snapped to see Jaxson coming into the room. She gasped and scrambled to the back of her bed, putting distance between them. Seeing Jaxson's face reminded her of how he almost killed her. He put his hands up, signaling he meant no harm.

"I'm so sorry, Zoey. I never meant to hurt you."

Jaxson came closer, but she stuck her hand up, jolting at his movement. Her body quivered, and she was on the verge of tears.

"P-please don't! I-I need you to stay away until I know you are s-safe."

He let out a deep breath. "That's going to be hard. I was ordered to be with you every second of the day."

Zoey's eyes flickered over every inch of her face examining for any signs of danger.

"W-will you attack me again?"

"I hope not. I know what it feels like when I start to lose control, so if it happens, I can warn you."

Zoey nodded, feeling slightly better.

"Can you at least leave me alone for tonight? I want to be alone."

"Of course. Let me know if you need anything."

Zoey laid back in the bed and pulled the covers over her. Her tears finally left her eyes, and she wept into her pillow.

Jaxson's heart pinched as he smelt her salty tears. He could hear how heartbroken she was in her cries.

~~~~

As Jaxson had said, they did spend every waking minute together. It took Zoey a bit of time to trust that he wouldn't shift and attack her again.

Zoey feared he would soon as Jaxson tried to sneak out a few times to let his beast out, but he was always caught and yelled at. They told him that he should take Zoey with him if he really needed to go. They both knew she wasn't ready for that.

Zoey flipped a page in her book and glanced up at Jaxson. He was making breakfast for them and had his back turned to her. Zoey couldn't help but let her eyes run over the muscles in his shirtless back. She couldn't deny how attractive this man was, and the more she spent with him, the more she thought that.

Jaxson abruptly turned around, asking her how she liked her eggs. She quickly shifted her eyes, hoping he didn't see her. Pink spread from her cheeks to her ears.

Jaxson later set down two steaming plates of eggs and bacon.

The only thing they heard was forks clinking against the plates and chewing.

Most of their conversations were pretty basic, like what are your hobbies? What's your favorite food? Etc. Zoey felt he never wanted to have a conversation further than that. That he was afraid to get to know the real her. Zoey, on the other hand, was ready for something more.

"So, what's the deal with your uncle?"

Jaxson lifted an eyebrow and gave her a look that said, "Do we need to do this in the morning." But Zoey didn't care.

She nodded, urging him to go on.

"My uncle Marcus," Jaxson spat as if the name left a bad taste in his mouth. "He was the one who prepared me to find you."