Chapter 23: Secrets revealed

An odd tingling sensation covered him as he felt Agina step away.

"When I'm gone you'll be able to move again."

Jaxson could hear her footsteps retreating into the woods. Pain filled his chest and he wanted nothing more than to scream but he bit his tongue. The cream over his eyes had dried and pulled on his skin and lashes as he opened his eyes.

He glared at the path he knew she had taken. He felt the spell crack and he fell to his knees. Jaxson flipped on his back looking at the black starry sky. He promised that night that he would never let anyone get close to him. Not even his match.

Aginas "gift" made him even more of a freak and put a bigger target on his back. Jaxson was from then on able to manipulate shadows, which turned him even more into a creature of the night.

Though he hated to admit it, he was grateful for it at times. It made it easier to sneak into town.

The betrayal he felt that night sprang his fury to life. He fought against Agina's magic and squeezed his eyes harder together.

"Jaxson, what happens if I see your eyes?" Zoey's breath shook as she spoke, the fear evident in her words.

Agina snapped her head to look at the girl. A cruel smile spread at her red lips. The fearful girl cowarded before her which fueled Agina's pride. The girl was no match for her.

"Well girl, you become one of them. Cursed."

Zoey gasped, her stomach clenched as she looked to Jaxson. His eyes were clenched shut and he frantically moved his head from side to side.

Zoey cried out as Caleb grabbed her head and kept her head towards Jaxson. She snapped her eyes closed and tried yanking her head away from his hands.

"Agina use your magic!"

Agina walked in front of Zoey and whispered in her ear. "Zoey you want to see his eyes. Look closer."

A prickling feeling ran up her spine and she snapped her eyes open. Her eyes trailed over Jaxson's features and had an erupting desire to see his eyes.

Jaxson's eyes relaxed as Agina whispered the words to open his eyes again. He held onto the memory not wanting to lose it as once he did, his eyes would snap right open.

His mind grew foggy and the memory slipped away. Jaxson searched through his brain trying to remember what he was thinking about. All he saw was Agina and that night they met.

The pricking sensation pushed harder against his spine and his eyes flew open.

They locked immediately on Zoeys.

The beauty he held in just those eyes was enough to shock her. A shiver ran through her body as his blood-red eyes bled into her soul.

But that was it.

Zoey expected to be crippled with pain as she transformed into some hideous beast as her eyes turned crimson.

She raised her eyebrows as she looked at Agina. Maybe the curse took a bit to kick in. She couldn't help to let out a laugh at the woman's equally confused face.

"I guess it didn't work."

Zoey stated, shrugging her shoulders. Her amusement was clear in her eyes. Her smile grew as she saw it in Jaxson's eyes as well.

It was odd that now the shadows that covered him were gone, he seemed more human even though his eyes shined like red rubies. His eyes held all his emotions Zoey had been dying to see.

Caleb growled and gripped Zoey's chin roughly pulling her took look at him. He scowled when he didn't see red eyes.

"I need to go speak to someone. Fix this Agina!"