Chapter 16: Answers

"What if what I have to tell you makes you want to leave."

"Then so be it."

"Don't make me do this. I told you I need them to tell me when it's time."

"No, Jaxson! How long will it be until they say yes? I won't risk it taking that long."

He snarled, threatening. Instead of freighting Zoey, it gave her confidence as she knew he couldn't follow her out there.

"Tell me, Jaxson." Her patience was wading down.

"Not yet."

"Okay then."

Zoey turned and started heading deeper into the forest.

All the irritation Jaxson held inside him snapped, and he went against everything that held him back from saying anything.

"I'm cursed! Okay. Is that what you wanted to hear?"

Zoey stopped in her tracks and stomped back.

"What do you mean cursed?"

"Come in here first."

"If you even think about not telling me, I will run out of that cave so fast that-"

"Zoey, I promise. Now get in here."

She eyed him hesitantly, looking for any signs that he was lying.

Jaxson remained straight-faced, emotionless.

Zoey sighed, giving in. She wanted answers so bad.

She crept into the cave, staying close to the entrance just in case.

Jaxson ran a hand down his face. "I'm going to be in some serious trouble."

"What do you mean you are cursed?"

"I guess I'll start at the beginning. Centuries ago, there was a village that lived near these parts. The town was fearful of the beasts that lived in the woods. The beasts stopped them from leaving and anyone from reaching their village. The villagers grew angry and wanted to destroy the beasts. For years the town trained so they would be strong enough. And when they were, they attacked. Every last beast was slaughtered until the lands turned red. The villagers rejoiced as the dark times were now over.

They did not know, but there was a woman who controlled the beasts. She was furious with the humans for destroying what was hers. She cursed the blood of the beasts as it flowed down the river leading into the human village.

Without knowing the villagers partook of the water and under the light of the crescent moon, they became what they feared. They transformed into beasts. Beasts that couldn't go out in the sun, had cravings for blood and could turn into hideous creatures under the moon's light."

Zoey didn't believe it. She couldn't. Everything in her brain told her that his words were a lie. Her whole life, she believed or tried to convince herself that the supernatural was a myth. Even living in a town where almost everyone believed in the supernatural, she didn't. Her brain thought more logically, and she was having a tough time understanding all of this. But how could she not when the supernatural was directly in front of her.

Jaxson gave her a second to process everything. She nodded slowly, giving him the okay to continue.

"The women thought she could control the village as she did the beasts before them. She was wrong, as they still had their minds. My ancestors could still think logically, ask questions, and have control over themselves. They would not give in to their blood cravings as they knew that the second they did, she would own them.