Chapter 29: Forgotten

Zoey stared at the white ceiling. She had no motivation to get out of bed.

Which was odd. She always got up started her day with no issues but today was not one of those day.

She pulled herself from the bed feeling surprisingly sore. She may have worked harder than she thought the day before.

Zoey rubbed the muscles on her shoulders. She stretched her hand to her hip and pulled it back quickly, wincing in pain. She pulled up her nightgown, gasping at the large bruise that stretched across her hip. When did she get that?

Zoey pushed the thought away, figuring it was a result of her clumsiness.

She glanced at the time and rushed to get dress. Mother would be upset if she was late.

By the time she reached the field, she was very late. Training had begun about 40 minutes ago. Zoey felt panic rise up inside her at the thought of what her mother might do to her. Last time she was late, mother made her run countless miles in the pouring rain. Zoey was so exhausted and in so much pain for days.

She glanced frantically around the field looking for the sight of her mother but she was not to be soon.

Zoey quickly began her training, harder than usual in hopes her mother might forgive her for being late.

She hated training. She didn't see the point in it. Well not for her specifically. They trained incase the beasts attacked, which she feared would be soon as her mother became increasingly aggressive as the days went on.

Her mother wanted her to train hard so when they came, she would be able to avenge her grandmother.

The thought of the beasts brought her fear. Mother says they are getting stronger. It was a matter of time before they came to kill us, just as they had many years ago.

As fearful as Zoey was, she'd rather do anything than fight. She wasn't good at fighting. No matter how hard she trained, she was always the same. In fact today, she felt weaker.

Zoeys heart hammered in her chest as she spotted her mother. She had been watching Zoey. For how long, she was unsure.

Her mothers beauty was unlike anyone else's on that field. She wished she had inherited more than just her hair and eyes. Her other features must of been from her father.

My father, She wondered. Did she have a father? Of course she did, but where was he? Zoey couldn't remember anything about him. Had she ever asked her mother about him? She couldn't remember that either.

Zoey hadn't realized she was staring at the floor lost deep in thoughts. She hadn't even noticed her mother standing just before her. A stinging sensation on her cheek brought her back to earth.

Zoey grabbed her cheek as her mother retracted her hand.

"Don't ever be late again." She bit out with such venom.

Zoey nodded quickly. All eyes were on the scene playing out before them. Her heart thumped in her chest as she started out at the faces. She had a hard time recognizing anyone. She grew up with them so why couldn't she find someone she was familiar with?

"Train harder and I may forgive your tardiness."

She watched as her mother crossed the field and into the back door that led to her office.