Chapter 10 Of Frost and Flame

Later that night, they had taken refuge in a the cabin of Tamer's friend by the rather unusual name of Lorelei: the same name as the mythical siren who was said to lure sailors to their death with her beautiful, enchanting voice.

Despite the sinister connotations of the person's name, Tamer insisted that they were safe, and that the two had been friends for a very long time. Strangely, she hadn't ever heard him mention them before, but not that that was unusual though -- getting him to offer any insight on Tamer personal life, thoughts, or feelings, was a battle. What she did know was that Tamer had spent his entire life abused by humans. There wasn't many other than herself he seemed to like, never mind trust, so Winter knew that if Tamer did grace the man with the rarity of his trust, then the trust would be rightly placed.

Lorelei himself wasn't actually home. When Winter asked where he was, Tamer merely replied he was somewhat of a night wanderer.

As soon as she'd hit the bed, she'd crashed into a dreamless sleep.

The next morning, sunlight roused her skin. It flared and dazzled her eyes, and she sought refuge by burying her face in Tamer's chest. She was too tired to think anything of the course light beaming through the window in the middle of Winter, the unusually warm temperature that scalped her skin.

Sighing, she shut her eyes again. She wondered if it was the sensation of her eyelashes fluttering against his skin that roused Tamer. It wouldn't have surprised her. She wondered what it was like to see the world in Tamer's eyes, to be so sensitive to every touch, taste, smell and sound.

His body was burning. He stretched his arms out behind him before shifting onto his side, winding his body back around hers with a sigh of content. She wished they could stay like this forever, remain still in an image of what could have been.

She was about to drift back to sleep when he placed a kiss on the nape of her neck.

"Winter," he mumbled, his voice was rugged and husky with tiredness. His fingers brushed over her stomach. "Are you hungry?"

She was. Although, she was far too comfortable to move.

"A little," she admitted. "Although, I can hang off for awhile. Are you?"

He gave a heavy sigh that breathed heat into the back of her neck.

"Winter, I must hunt."

There was great urgency in his voice.

"Why?" she asked. "Are you really that hungry?"

He shook his head. "No. But I can't explain it. It's like... it's like I just have to. I've been smothering this damned wolf inside for so long." He gave her a look down, eyes lingering before sighing, "I feel like if I don't do what it wants now, it's going to take me over."

"I-I see," she said, not really understanding. "Tamer, we don't have..."

She felt something incredibly sharp press into her skin.

She looked down.

Tamer's claws had suddenly extended.

She knew the risks of being with someone like him. If she didn't think Tamer could resist these urges, she would have treated him as just a friend and setting her sights on human men.

But she couldn't look away, the two of them frozen at the sight of his claws indenting her skin reared daggers.

Tamer snatched his own hand away, fingers rigid as he seized his own wrist.

"N-no need to worry," he stuttered, breathing hard. He didn't look at her; the claws shortened, but immediately burst back out, refusing to retract. "I think... I think it was because of what happened in the lake last night. Th-things the wolf wants to do include...you, and I've never experienced that before. I think that's why its surfacing." He gave an apprehensive lick of his lips. "Nothing to worry about."