Chapter 6 The Beast With Stars in its Eyes

"Tamer, who is it?" Winter demanded breathlessly, voice broken from the brisk pace at which they ran. Tamer wasn't strong enough for confrontation. Neither was she. Fear clutched her heart in an icy palpitation. "It's not the King -- "

All of a sudden, Tamer skidded to a halt in the forest clearing, debris wafting through the air in a wave behind him.

Before them, all there appeared to be was a pair of eyes.

Seething with such a vivid shade of orange, they appeared to levitate in the night. The contrast between the amber and the darkness was so stark that it was almost hypnotic; frozen within the creatures gaze, she was so transfixed that she barely even registered the strange prisms of light filtering in from the corner of her peripheral vision.

Pure darkness swirled like a misty void as the beast moved. Slinking out of the shadow of the trees, it prowled toward them with the stealth and grace of a panther. As it made its way into that strange light source, its sleek coat glistened like the starry-sky plastered above.

A midnight-coloured wolf, immediately revealing itself as Lupine in its gigantic size, stood before them.
Its glare was scorching. Tamer's was like an icicle back.

"It's you," Tamer said coldly. He folded his arms. "Having fun living like a prince while I suffered at the hands of the man I call Father, Xavier?"

The wolf's eyes flickered back and forth from the sight of her and Tamer's fingers locked, tail swishing irritably. Its lip curled.

"I wonder if you can ever truly grasp that you were the lucky one in this scenario," the wolf retorted back. "Not even a hello after all these years? Didn't your step-dad teach you any manners?"

A quiet growl passed from Tamer's throat.

It was then Winter felt something upon her skin. From the ice-cold shudder it gave her, she knew it wasn't the amber-eyed glare of the black wolf. Prying her attention from the beast, she realised then those dancing prisms in the corner of her eye weren't directly the moons light but rather, the aura of someone absorbing it. Staring directly at the light source, speckles of colour botched her vision. Blinking them a way, she noticed a pair of legs dangling the tree-tops.

Lounging upon the branch like a throne, a devilish looking young man sat before her, skin shinning in an inferno of white light.

There was a slew of odd things to process about him at once, but the first thing to catch her eye - other than the blinding light ripping from his skin - was his hair. She'd never seen anything like it in her life. It was a deep, crimson red. In the ignition of his own aura, it appeared like some kind of hellish halo; sitting wild and tousled, it was like a literal blaze.

Despite his fiery palette, her inside turned cold at those eyes, yellow, and like a cats branding her skin like hot iron. This person had a very strange aura about him that instantly revealed him as not being human. She felt a very instinctive kind of smallness, like she was being scorned for something by a force bigger than her, but what she'd done, or how she was to be punished, she did not know.

He waved and a sharpened fang poked out from his lip.

Tamer appeared to notice her tension, following her gaze to the treetops. He frowned, seemingly unsure of what to make of him either.

"I'm sorry, what the fuck is that?" Tamer asked, pointing sharply at the youth sitting within the tree.

The black wolf emitted a low growl. Despite not having one, somehow, Winter swore she saw its brow twitch.

"That," the wolf said sharply, "would be your delightful younger brother."

"I don't know what that is but it doesn't belong to me," Tamer said.