Chapter 14 The Sun and Moon

Everything reminded her of the dark wolf and the upcoming battle that came with it. The wind filtered through her ears like the howls of ghostly wolves re-enacting a hunt. The once blue sky had weaved into a star-scattered darkness throughout the hours of their journey, reminding her of its sleek, glossy pelt. Within the distance glittering torches came into view – just like those orange eyes blazing in the dark.

Xavier had said he had to move fast before the king. Whether he could rid Red or not, he was coming. The conflict could be a early as tomorrow –  a few days at max. The not knowing exactly was torture – this could be her last night with Tamer.

The journey was suspiciously uneventful. Tamer raised his head in a sniff as if he sensed him too, a grim expression plastering upon his face. He said nothing, simply trudging on forward through the long plains of grass. Winter didn't ask him what he sensed; for now, she had her own battle to face.

As early as tomorrow, Tamer's life could be ended.

The hills of grass rolled into a golden warmth glowing on the horizon as the village came into view. The sight didn't comfort her as that temporary safe haven Lorelei had described, nor did it provide some mental relief to her aching feet. Seeing such a voracious gold reminded her of an even more powerful foe, like that absurd sunshine managed to dominate even within the night. The dark should have been a chilling, yet she felt heat surge through her body at the thought of him,the ghost of the god's soft hands inflamed with such delicate static ravishing her skin.

He's here.

Apollo. A being that clashed with her in every conceivable way; golden haired to her black, tanned skin to her white – the form of fire to clash with her ice. This being was so entirely contrasted from her own that she couldn't help but feel opposed to him, like they were in some sort of battle. She tugged at the collar of her dress, the ping of air bringing a momentary soothing chill to her skin. Even being anywhere near his vicinity was making sweat.

“Maiden of Ice Flowers.” The memory Apollo's lyrical voice sang throughout her mind. “How fragile you are that even the slightest tendrils of sunlight should bring you to your knees.”

With a shake of her head she scowled, trying her hardest not to melt yet somehow failing. Whatever game they were playing, she already felt like she was losing.

Walking towards that blaze of golden light, she felt as though she were walking directly into his hands.

“Winter?” Tamer asked. “Are You all right? You feel quite anxious.”

“I'm fine,” she said flatly.

What was she supposed to say? That she met a god and her natural instinct was one of anxiety, thus based on her premonition, they should give up their one sanctuary where Cerberus would supposedly not attack them just for this night?

He gave her hand an assuring squeeze.

“Try to relax,” he muttered softly. The golden gaze of his eyes under moonlight was usually such a beautiful sight, however, now they sent a more voracious pair of golden eyes flashing within her mind. “We've made it here safely. For this night, we are safe.”

Suddenly, a vortex of black mist swirling next to them drew a shriek from Winter, but it was only Lorelei, materialising into place with a content skip.

“I am also a wizard, by the way,” Lorelei said.

Winter double took – Tamer had a similar exhausted expression on his face. Magic was mostly considered a dead trade, but if you were rich enough, you could use it to light your house, heat your water – not, as she'd just saw, disperse into a cloud of black mist. She shook her head, deciding she didn't have the strength to chase it. As Tamer had previously stated, Lorelei was full of surprises.