chapter six; meetings and pens

this brilliant light is brighter
than we've known.

-friday-

(marinettes point of view)

~8:16 am~

I yawn, last night I couldn't sleep. I usually always have my office lights on at night when I can't sleep. I sketched up new designs last night and finally went to bed two hours before I had to wake up for work.

I lean over my desk, probably looking like a hunchback, but I didn't care. I squinted my eyes, trying to adjust them to the sun and lights that surround me.

I start writing down the lists for Felix's work schedule, taking a sip of my coffee. I love coffee so much, I savor every sip I take and breathe in the smell.

"Marinette." I hear a coworker yell out to me, "Yes?" I respond, snapping out of my coffee trance. "Can you do these files for me? You're way better at doing it than I am!" she says, basically begging me.

"Bring it over here, i'll do it for you." I say, not really caring, even though it's technically not my job.

She runs over and starts thanking me, I just wave her off, and roll my eyes.

"Marinette. Why are you taking other employees jobs? Isn't being my secretary enough? Maybe I should give you more work if you're not busy enough." I hear my bosses voice from behind me.

"Well, I mean, she asked me to and-" I was cut off by him snatching the paper and throwing it on the floor.

"Hey! Why did you do that?" I say, practically yelling.

"Because, it's not your job, so stop acting like it is." he says to me with a blank expression on his face.

"Just because it's not my job doesn't mea-" he cuts me off again, I roll my eyes again.

He stares at me with a look of disgust and anger mixed together, "You shouldn't be so disrespectful to the person who pays your bills." he says, referring to my paycheck.

"Well, respect goes both ways." I start to argue back, he responds to that by holding his empty coffee cup in my face. Again.

"I just refilled that an hour ago." I say, standing up and snatching the cup. "Well, Ms. Dupain-Cheng. Do it again." he says, crossing his arms.

"No wonder nobody wants to work for you! You're a monster! You don't respect anyone and you invade their personal space with your big fat coffee cup!" I say, stomping away.

~~

(3rd person pov)

Felix stands there with his eyes wide, he just scoffs and walks his way to his office.

When he sits down, he starts thinking, "Me? A monster? Nobody wants to work for me?" he says while staring at his computer screen, with a twisted expression.

He starts clicking at his emails, but he can't get that Marinette out of his head. He hears the familiar sound of heels clicking by his office.

Marinette storms in and slams down his coffee cup onto his desk, and she stomps out and closes his door harshly.

He takes a sip of the coffee, and stares at his office door for a few lingering seconds.

He takes a look around, wandering his eyes around his newly organized office. He doesn't smile, and he didn't show his gratitude to Marinette for her hard work.

-

Meanwhile, Marinette sits down at her desk and rolls her eyes, once again. She uses her elbows to support her head, she starts to fall asleep, but snaps out of it quickly.

Marinette continues to do her typical work and types away, she calls Felix's phone, only because she doesn't want to face him again.

She rings his office, she hears him immediately pick up. "You know Marinette, it's a two second walk from your desk to my office." he says, sounding super serious. "Okay i'll keep that in mind." he could just feel her eye roll through the silent second of the phone, "Anyways, you have a meeting at 15:30, and you have a dinner with your father tonight at 18:45." she says, then she hangs up.

Marinette works at her desk, when she hears footsteps approaching her, she looks up to see Felix with a calm face. "Marinette, you will attend my meeting with me, and take notes on my behalf." he says, and he just walks away. She grabs her notebook and checks her watch. She grabs her pens and highlighters and walks towards Felix's office.

She waits at Felix's door and he's adjusting his tie while walking towards Marinette, he waves her to hurry and they walk swiftly to the elevator. They stand there waiting for the elevator, Marinette's eyes wander around. She looks out the big windows, Felix's fancy shoes, and she compares the quality between her and her boss, his looked like they were the shiniest, properly cleaned and cared for shoes. Meanwhile her shoes were low quality, and typically she doesn't clean them.

The little details in life, Marinette always noticed, it's something that always fascinated her. She doesn't know why, like the time she saw a girl get Andres ice cream with her boyfriend, she noticed him fiddling with a little box in his pocket, and she saw later a couple getting engaged on the Pont des Arts, and then they put a lock on the bridge.

*ding*

"Come on Marinette." he says, holding open the door. She must've gotten lost in thought. She quickly hurries in, a small blush swept across her cheeks. So embarrassing to be zoned out, in front of your boss..

She sees Felix press floor fourteen, she just stands there and clutches the notebook close to her chest, and sighs.

(the meeting)

(marinettes pov)

Felix walks away from me like he's trying to escape from an evil witch. He walks into the meeting and sits down at a chair near the door, and he motions for me to sit next to him.

I sit down, and I make sure my posture is good, and I get my notebook prepared for notes.

As i'm writing, I notice Felix's face, he looks tired, like he's about to pass out on the meeting table. He gives me a side eye, and then looks at my notebook, and then back at me. I rolled my eyes and continue writing the most important parts, and then highlighting the subjects.

I look over at Felix again, his eyes are at the window, he's looking out the window? I stare at him, trying not to be obvious about it.

We make brief eye contact, and of course, I break the eye contact. I pretend to be writing so he doesn't think i'm a creep. My stomach twists in embarrassment.

He takes my notebook and reads it over, I try to snatch it back but he refuses to give it up yet. I stare at him with a stink eye. He smirks, I roll my eyes. What a fucking jerk.

After my work day ends, I walk to my car. Feeling the amazing weather, I enjoy my walk from the doors to the parking lot. When I make it in my car, I start my short drive home.

When I make it into my apartment, I throw my heels off as soon as I walk through my door. My house is a complete mess, my designs and fabrics are laid over the couch, my dining chairs, and over my coffee table as well. I decide to move everything over to my office. I flip the lights on to my office and place everything in my fabric organizer and walk towards my room.

I put on some pink shorts and a polka dot white cami-top. I walk back into my office and start working on designing a new blouse for work. I yawn and almost fall asleep on my sewing machine. I glance at my office window, well, more like the pink curtains that are on my office window. I check the time on my phone and flip the switch off and head to bed.

~~

a/n

well.. uh, hi :)

starting school soon but i will continue writing so :)