chapter twenty-four; heart monitor

you began to feel like home.

(mari)

I immediately run up to him, not hesitating to throw my arms around him.

He loosely hugs me back, he sighs. "I have to go." he says, backing away.

"I'll go with you." I say, patting his shoulder.

"I can't ruin your weekend." he says.

"Nonsense, Felix. You took care of me drunk twice, and stayed with me when I was sick. You didn't let me be alone, so why would I make you be alone during this time?" I say, he smiles softly.

"Okay, but you promise to leave if you want to?" he asks.

"I promise." I say.

I'm breaking my promise. I care for him. Why do I care for him? Why does he care for me?

Do I.. like him?

No!

"I'll drive." I say, "Let's go." I say, grabbing my keys.

I slam my door closed and locked it, we ran to the elevator. I needed to get there NOW.

We jump in my car and I start it as fast as possible. I look over to Felix, his expression looked so sad. My heart ached.

"Hey, Felix." I say, he looked over at me. "It's gonna be okay, you're not alone. You have me." I say, pressing the gas pedal.

"Thank you, so much Mari." he says, looking at me with sadness in his eyes.
-
When we arrived, I parked my car and we practically ran in the hospital.

"Hello, my name is Felix Agreste, my father had a heart attack today, where is Gabriel Agreste." he says, fast.

The man at the front desk looks at his computer. "Room 4032. Floor 4." he says, Felix and I run to the elevator. I was wearing my house shoes, and he was wearing his leather shoes.

He spams the up button, I put my hand on his arm. "It'll be okay, take a deep breath." I say, he closes his eyes and sighs. He looks stressed and sad.

When the elevator opened, I clicked floor 4.

I checked my phone, the G. Agreste social media page was spammed with comments asking Mr. Agreste's health condition as of now.

I clicked off my phone, Alya was texting me, asking me how I was.

Alya and I usually go out on Saturday nights, but as if now, that'll have to be cancelled.

When we got off the elevator, we looked for room 4032. Felix's eyes were urgent.

When we found the room, Felix knocked softly, he wasn't sure of his fathers state right now. Suddenly, Nathalie opens the door.

When we walked in the room, it was plain, but awfully big. It was like the suite of hospital rooms, there was a couch by the window.

*beep, beep, beep*

We hear the heart monitor beeping, his heart was going normal now, but he was put on beta blockers to keep him asleep.

Felix stands at the end of his fathers bed, I feel so bad for him. He didn't deserve to go through all of this stress today.

I stand beside him, he looks at me. I take ahold of his hand, he just takes a deep breath. "Why don't you take a seat?" I ask him.

He leads me to sit by him on the couch. He just stares at his father. Nathalie was outside of the room, I assume to give Felix time with his father.

Our hands are still interlocked, it's 13:04 pm, "Felix," I say "Do you want some time alone with your father?" I ask.

"No. Please stay here." he says, his forehead wrinkling.

"Do you need anything?" I ask, smiling softly while looking at him.

"No." he says, then he leans back on the couch.

"Okay." I say, I go on my phone and grab my airpods out of my purse.

I hand an airpod to him, he looks confused. He takes it and puts it in his ear, I go on my Spotify and play his favorite song.

When I finally find it, I turn it on. His face goes from a stressed out look to a calm look. He closes his eyes and leans on my shoulder.

"The swan." he whispers, I nod.

I lean my head on his head and rub his hand with my thumb.

30 minutes later, I hear the hospital door open quietly. I feel Felix asleep on my shoulder. I notice it's the doctor.

I take my hand out of Felix's. I slowly get up and lay Felix down on the end of the couch, I greet him quietly.

"Hello!" I whisper. I point at Felix, alerting her of him sleeping. He puts his thumb up.

"Hi! I'm Dr. Kanté." he whispers, "Are you a family member of Mr. Agreste?" he asks.

"No, but his son is over there," I say pointing to Felix. "but he's exhausted from stress and work, i'm his sons girlfriend." I don't get affected by the word girlfriend anymore.

"Okay, well I have some information for Mr. Agreste's health." Dr. Kanté says, "Okay, on a chart ? or should I write it down?" I asked him, reaching for my purse.

"Oh, it's on his health chart." Dr. Kanté says, holding out a piece of paper.

"Okay, i'll read it once Felix is awake." I say, gently taking the paper.

"Alright, call the nurses if you need anything." he says, walking out.

I sit down, moving Felix's head up and placing his head in my lap. I put my fingers through his hair and play with it a little.

"Bien dormir." I say, mesmerized by softness of his hair, or maybe the color of it. It was the color of the brightest of blondes.

While feeling his hair, I think of the color of his eyes, the greenest of greens, as green as the leaves of the trees in spring, or the color of jade.

Beautiful eyes. Eyes that I wish I had.

I take my kindle out of my purse, gently moving, trying to let Felix rest.

I start reading Pride and Prejudice.

(felix)

*beep* *beep*

I wake up to the sounds of beeping, father's heart monitor.

I look around, I feel fingers running through my hair. I feel drowsy.

"Mari?" I say, the fingers stop. "Yes?" she says. I feel relieved, i'm glad she's here.

"The doctor came in two hours ago, he gave me your fathers chart." she says, with a whispered tone.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I say, sitting up. I hit her chin with my head.

Uh oh.

I look over to her, she's holding her chin.

"Oh my, are you alright Mari?" I say, getting up and leaning over to her.

Her face goes red, and I mean, tomato red.

"I'm fine! Just a little ache!" she says, waving me away.

She hands me the chart, I take it. My eyes start scanning over it, making sure my father didn't have any long term problems.

He was okay. I sigh with relief, he just needs tons of rest and a month off of work.

"Is there anything wrong with his heart?" she asks. "No." I say.

"That's great!" she exclaims, "When is he being released from the hospital?" she asks.

"In 3 days." I say. She has a sad face, she puts her hand on mine. I smile.

(mari)

When I grabbed for Felix's hand, I realized something.

Something I would never have thought would've happened.

I think i've fallen for Felix Agreste.