Chapter Sixteen

Evelynne 

I'm really fucking worried. Like I'm really, really fucking worried. Alexia hasn't called or texted me back all day when she usually would. But I also know how her low days are after a high. So, I decided to stop by after I left school.

When I got there, there was no car in the driveway. That gave me a little hope. Her dad would never leave her if she was really bad off. Maybe she was not too too bad.

I used my key to unlock the door and make my way up to her room. I was right to be really fucking worried. 

I found Lex just sitting up staring blankly at the wall. The look in her eyes scared me. Her stare was dead, yet so full of pain. It's crazy how quickly someone's state of mind could change in a day.

But this wasn't the first time this has happened. It has happened less and less over the years, but it still happens enough that I know how to deal with them. 

Usually, she prefers to just cuddle up to me while I talk about random things or not say anything at all. But sometimes she just can't handle being touched. No matter how I comfort her, it always breaks my heart just the same.

I slip my shoes off and change into some pajamas that I found in her closet. She never moved once or said a word. She just stayed staring blankly at the wall. 

I pulled back the blanket and got into bed next to her. Only then did she finally move. She laid her head on my shoulder but stayed staring blankly at the wall.

At least this time around she was sitting up, so that meant she had at least moved around today. there have been times when she wouldn't move an inch, but that was only when things got really fucking bad. This time around I think is only because she is emotionally drained, and not in a depressive episode, but I guess only time will tell. 

I began to tell her about random shit. I talked about everything and everyone. Things from date ideas to school drama. I told her anything I could think of. 

She didn't talk and I didn't expect her to. The only thing I was really wondering was where Martin was. He normally wouldn't leave her alone when she's like this. But before I could ask, Alexia practically read my mind.

"I told him to leave," she croaked out surprising me.

"And he actually left?" I asked, dumbfounded. That doesn't really sound like him.

"Yeah, he's missed a ton of work this past year and he doesn't have to stay. It's not like I'm gonna go anywhere or do anything." I mean...that's not entirely true. I remember one episode she had where she...I don't even want to think about it. 

"He stays because he cares and is worried about you...and frankly, I am too."

She doesn't say anymore after that, so I didn't either. I know pushing her isn't going to do any good. 

We just laid there for I don't know how long. She eventually started to drift off into a restless sleep, me not far behind. 

I was wakened by the bedroom door opening. Martin poked his head in and smiled. At least he knew that she wasn't alone all day long. 

I gently moved out from underneath Lex and got up, following her dad to the kitchen. I knew he wanted to talk and I also knew he didn't want to wake Lex up. While I sat down at the breakfast bar, he got what he needed out for dinner.

"You staying?" He asked like he even needed to.

"Obviously I'm staying."

We sat in silence for a few minutes while he started making dinner. I assumed he was making chicken alfredo since it was one of Alexia's favorites. 

"You're good for her. It's obvious how much you love her, you know," Her dad started, "She needs someone that can love both sides of her unconditionally. And I worry about her a lot, but it helps to see she has someone like you to be with her when she doesn't want me to be."

"I worry about her too and it's hard to see her like that. I always feel useless when she gets like this and I can't do anything," I confessed. 

"Yeah, I know how heartbreaking it is to see her revert back to a mindset that you thought was gone. But the thing is, it's never really gone, it's just hiding in the back of her mind until it can weasel its way through the cracks. She's been getting help for years, and it has gotten better. You can see it."

"I just hope one day she can be happy without having to go through hell after."

We said nothing after that. He continued making dinner and I continued to watch him. One thing I envied was how well he could cook. I guess it comes from years of being a single parent. I'm, not saying my parents can't cook, but Martin's food gives orgasms. Not that I would ever say that to him. Because that would be like really weird.

When it was done, he made up three plates for us. I took mine and Lex's plate upstairs so we could at least eat together. If she does even eat.

"Hey, I brought some food."

She didn't say anything, but she at least took the plate from me. I sat down next to her on the bed and turned her TV on. If we were going to eat up here, I'm going to watch TV. 

She was at least eating now since I know for a fact that she hasn't eaten all day. She took small bites slowly, but it was better than nothing. It took her a while to wat almost have the plate, so by the time she was done, I was just watching TV. 

"Thank you, for taking care of me, Eve. It's more than I deserve," she said, gaining my attention.

"You deserve the world."