The Day of Black Sun

No longer would they be needing to hide in plain sight using their Fire Nation disguises. Jade wouldn't lie; it felt good to be out of all that red and back into something much closer to her original green attire. She also liked being able to wear her Yue necklace again, and although her orange and blue bracelet was frayed and worn out after all it had been through, that didn't stop her from tying it around her wrist where it was supposed to be.

What was once a green shirt paired with green pants was now a blue shirt and green bottoms. Her hair, still shorter than she was used to, was now half tied up on the top of her head. She found herself liking her new look a little more than her old one. Even if green was her color, considering her roots and her bending element, how she could not have a thing for blue?

Today was the long-awaited big day. She'd be lying if she'd said she wasn't at all nervous for the Invasion of the Fire Nation, but she'd grown to realize that those nerves were just inevitable.

But she was still ready. They all were.

Stretching her arms above her head, she smiled when Miko yelped and pawed at her foot. Jade bent down to pick her up, then turned to see Sokka staring intently at five maps spread out in front of him on the ground. He rubbed his eye.

She walked over to stand next to him. "Whatcha' doing?"

"Going over the plan." He kept his eyes on the maps. "I wanna make sure I didn't miss anything."

"Well, don't overwork yourself." Katara knelt down beside her brother to force a cup of water into his hand. Then she squeezed his shoulder with a reassuring smile. "Everything's gonna be fine, Sokka."

The sound of a gust of wind had all three of them looking over to see Aang jumping over the hill. "Top of the morning, Momo!"

As Momo perched himself on the Avatar's shoulder, Jade smiled at the sight of a grin on Aang's face. "I see someone finally got a good sleep."

"Yup! I slept like a baby moose lion." He raised his fists in a fighting stance. "I'm ready to face the Fire Lord."

"So, what's your strategy for taking him down?" Toph waved her fingers. "Gonna get your glow on and hit him with a little Avatar State action?"

Aang's smile faded as he lowered his head. "I can't. When Azula shot me with lightning, my seventh chakra was locked, cutting off my connection to all the cosmic energy in the universe."

She really tried her best, but understanding all that cosmic stuff was hard for Jade. Still, whenever he brought it up, she found herself remembering how he told her he already mastered the Avatar State before coming to save her back in Ba Sing Se. It wouldn't have been a big deal, but she remembered being able to tell that he was lying.

She still had yet to ask about it since it obviously wasn't something he liked to talk about. But she couldn't help wondering; what reason would he have for lying?

"...You know what I just heard? Blah, blah, spiritual mumbo jumbo, blah, blah, something about space."

"Oh, no." Standing up, Katara was staring out at the ocean with a frown. Following her gaze, Jade spotted a large fog cloud in the distance. "Sokka, do you think the fog will delay the invasion?"

Sokka stood up next to her. "No! That is the invasion!"

~

The stone platforms formed by Aang and Toph worked as makeshift docks for those on the Water Tribe ships. Familiar faces stepped off each of the boats, and when they spotted their father, Sokka and Katara didn't hesitate to run up to him.