The Firebending Masters

It was earlier than Jade liked to be up without reason. She brought it upon herself when she decided to watch Aang and Zuko's first training session, but that didn't mean she had to like it. She just had to provide encouragement for both of them.

They were waiting on Zuko. Swinging her legs where she sat, Jade rubbed her eyes. "I guess I shouldn't be surprised he takes so long to get ready. He is a prince, after all."

"Yeah..."

She glanced to her right where Aang was sitting. Staring at his legs, he was rubbing his hands together anxiously.

"You don't have to be nervous, Aang." She said. "It's gonna be fine. You said so yourself that you think Zuko is just the teacher you need."

"I know..." He muttered. "But that doesn't mean I'm any more excited to learn firebending. After last time -- "

She grabbed his hand and laced their fingers together to stop him. "That was a long time ago. You've grown and learned a lot since then. I know you can do this."

Aang met her eyes. "Really?"

Jade smiled. "Really."

He smiled back.

The last time they were alone together, Aang kissed her. When she remembered that, Jade's smile faltered. Flushing a little, she was the one to break their locked gazes and look back down at her lap. But she glanced back up when he raised and turned their connected hands.

"Your bracelet's been through a lot." He said. "It's really frayed. I'm surprised it's still in one piece."

"I'm not surprised. You made it."

Before Aang could reply, Zuko finally arrived. Aang didn't hide his disappointment well enough for Jade not to notice -- and this time around, she got the feeling it wasn't just because his firebending lessons were about to begin.

Walking up to them, Zuko crossed his arms. "Come on. Let's get started."

When Aang glanced at Jade one more time, she sent him a reassuring smile. She watched him stand up with a sigh. Moving out to the middle of the stone floor, the boys stood across from each other.

"I know you're nervous, but remember; firebending in and of itself is not something to fear."

Aang sighed again. "Okay...Not something to fear."

Zuko went on. "But if you don't respect it...it'll chew you up and spit you out like an angry komodo rhino!"

Aang yelped. Gulping, he slowly glanced back over at Jade. "Um...Are you sure you should sit so close while we do this?"

Still smiling at him, Jade sighed, too. She stood up to move and put more distance between herself and her friends. Taking a seat on the ground, she leaned back on the stone pillar behind her.

"Now," Zuko didn't pay that any mind. "Show me what you've got. Any amount of fire you can make."

Aang exhaled before taking in a deep breath. Crossing her legs, Jade watched him thrust out his open palm. But she didn't see any flames; just a tiny cloud of smoke that even faded after a second.

Meekly, he turned back to Zuko. "...Maybe I need a little more instruction. Perhaps a demonstration?"

"Good idea. You might want to take a couple steps back."

Once Aang moved back to stand beside Jade, Zuko took a breath of his own. With a grunt, he thrust his fist out. Unlike Aang, he managed to form an actual flame. But, like Aang, it wasn't exactly...impressive.