Right and Wrong

A year ago, if you told Jade that her boyfriend would have his own fan club, she would have believed you without question. After all, Jade always knew that Aang was amazing. She knew it from the day she met him, really.

But this...Well, this wasn't quite what she expected.

The inside of the clubhouse was very clearly built by all these girls. There were scrolls on the walls; some with the symbol for air, others with pictures of an airbender or even a flying bison. But there were also some holes in the wooden floors and some cracks in the ceilings.

Despite all that, Jade had to admire the hard work these girls put into building the place. And it was all in Aang's honor, so that should have made her happy for him.

But, in all honesty, she wasn't feeling 100% happy, sitting quietly against the wall. It was more like 70/30 happy/whatever feeling she was trying to ignore.

"And this is a technique called air scooter!" Aang was grinning as he formed the ball of air beneath him. "I invented it when I was training at the Southern Air Temple. It's part of how I earned my tattoos!"

Most of the fan girls were sitting around him in a circle. They all had the same shirt with Aang's picture on the front. They clapped in delight. "Look at him go!"

"Wow!"

"How does he do that?!"

"Avatar Aang is so dreamy!"

Pulling her legs in close, Jade set her chin on top of her knees. This was more or less how she spent the entire evening yesterday. All the girls gathered around Aang to ask him questions and fawn over him. Before Jade knew it, she was outside the group, just watching.

When they ate dinner, Aang sat beside her. That was the first time she smiled for real since they got to this clubhouse. But then all the fan girls swarmed around them to make Aang tell them more stories. Jade's smile went away pretty quickly after that. She was there, in the middle of the group, but it felt more like she was outside again.

And now, today, she was outside. Literally and figuratively.

Whining softly, Miko flew up to lie on her head. Jade glanced up at her friend the best she could. "It's okay, Miko." She glanced back over at Aang, who was grinning as he created air scooters that swept all the girls out of their seats. A new technique that he's used on Jade repeatedly. "All that matters is that Aang's having fun."

"Um, Avatar Aang?" Hei-Won approached Aang with a big smile.

"Good morning, Hei-Won!" He greeted her. "Come join the fun!"

"I'd like to, like, introduce you to somebody." Hei-Won gestured to the girl behind her. "This is my fellow co-president and co-founder Yee-Li. She's wanted to meet you since, like, forever!"

"Another co-president and co-founder? How many co-presidents and co-founders are there?"

Every girl in the room raised their hand.

Jade sighed. "That adds up..."

"Um, excuse me," Startled, she looked up to see one of the smiling fan girls in front of her. "Your name was Jei, right? You're Avatar Aang's girlfriend?"

She blinked. "Um, it's actually...Never mind." She smiled. "Yeah, that's me."

"My name's Li-Mei." The girl grinned. "I can see why Avatar Aang likes you. You're so pretty! And you're a waterbender, right?"

Blushing, Jade glanced back down. "Well, I am a waterbender -- "

Miko's growling cut her off. The spirit was now standing on Jade's head, glaring at a surprised Li-Mei.