Sozin's Comet

"Daddy!"

There was nothing six year-old Jade loved more than being in her dad's arms. Her dad was a hugger, and he always gave the very best ones, no matter if he was happy or sad. So when he scooped her up for whatever reason, it never ever failed to make her smile.

"My Jade stone!" She laughed when he planted a big kiss on her cheek. "What's this? Did you get cuter while I was gone?"

Standing at her father's side, Shiro squinted. "Hm...She looks the same to me."

Jade stuck her tongue out at him. Sighing, Kueng flicked the side of his best friend's head.

"Ow!"

He went ignored. "How was your job, Daddy? Did you have fun traveling?"

"I sure did." He grinned. "We saw some beautiful mountains and forests on our way. But what about you; were you good for Lanyi while I was gone?"

"Uh-huh!" She beamed. "She let me practice my bending outside, and I only broke two of her flowerpots!"

Neither of them paid any mind to Shiro's snickering. Her father smiled weakly. "I-Is that so? I guess that's...an improvement."

"Yup! And King Bumi says that at the rate I'm going, I'll master it in no time!"

"Well, if King Bumi thinks so then it must be true." He said. "You just keep practicing, okay?"

If possible, her smile got brighter. "I will! And then one day, do you think I'll be as good as the waterbenders from where Mommy grew up?"

Kueng's smile softened. "You know what? I get the feeling you might even be better. Because you've got a spirit unlike any other." He pinched her nose affectionately. "You're going to do something really great one day, Jade. And I'm already so proud of you."

~

Now was not the time to be admiring the beauty of nature's phenomena. Their mission was simple on paper but huge in reality. They had to stop a Fire Nation airship fleet from burning the Earth Kingdom to ash. If they failed, the consequences would be devastating. A lot was riding on this.

And yet, Jade couldn't help it. The comet was painting some of the evening sky red and the rest of it bright orange. She never had liked either of those colors, and yet somehow not even she could deny how pretty they looked in the sky. It was almost sad to think that they signified oncoming devastation and destruction.

Suki seemed to have a similar thought. At the back of the eel hound's saddle, she was looking at the comet behind them over her shoulder. "It's weird to say, but the comet actually looks beautiful."

Still clinging to Jade's waist, Toph frowned solemnly. "Too bad the Fire Lord's about to use it to destroy the world."

The eel hound was nearing the shore. Piandao wasn't kidding when he said the creature was a fast swimmer; the journey took them much less time than flying would have, especially with the boost of Jade's waterbending. And once they reached the base where the ships would be taking off, their job would have officially begun.

Jade took a glance over her shoulder to look at the comet, too. And, like they had been doing a lot these past two days, her thoughts went to Aang, wherever he was.

He was going to be okay. He had to be.

When the eel hound reached the shore, the four of them hopped off the saddle. Jade gave the hound a quick pat on the snout before following her friends to the cliffside. When they reached the top, they spotted the base. Jade counted at least fifteen airships, one of which was bigger and more elaborately decorated than the rest. Clearly, it was where the Fire Lord himself would be found.