Chapter Two

The Brighton Estate, London; April 13, 1913.

Izabella woke to her head resting on something solid, and fleshy, at the moment she was afraid it had been her choice victim from the party but the way he was curled, cradling her head she knew it be Adam and the panic ceased. Groggily she stood, nearly tripping over the heavy skirt and bodice from her gown the prior night as she made her way to the mirror, lazily staring at her rustled appearance.

With the back of her pale hand she wiped away the dried blood on her lips and blinked a few times. She pulled back a curtain at the far side of the room, away from the still sleeping Adam and relished in the warmth it provided against her skin, similar to the warmth she had felt with James. Soundlessly walking back to the bed she knelt down and lifted the pillow that he was so intent on keeping over his head. His eyes flashed open and a scowl settled on his lips.

"Come on Adam, up we get." It was rare for him to smile but at her foolish and rather terrible impression of a Cockney accent he did, and with a little more persuasion he sat up leaning against the headboard of her bed; sleep still heavy in his eyes.

"You are insufferable, woman." He glared at the woman who, unlike him and the others, could stand in the sun without turning to ash and stone, he knew the deal was of dark magic but had no interest in the specifics so long as he did not lose her. Lazily she plaited her hair before tugging off the paper thin chemise and searching throughout her drawers for something to wear.

The dress she settled on was simple in design compared to the gown she had worn the previous night, the wrapped and layered material was flowing and much to her satisfaction did not require a corset, a tie cinched in her waist. Looking herself over, she gave a content sigh before looking at her rather unimpressed house guest. "I would have much rather seen you parade around in nothing at all." Raising her hand to her chest she gasped, feigning to be appalled but the flattery was still there, hidden deep in his words.

With a quick glance to the mantle timepiece she realized the late hour that they had woken, it was already nearing two in the afternoon, such sleep was common after drinking, especially when she had put off the need for so long. In two hours it would be time for tea and the hope that the young Captain from the party would show up was more than strong. "Oh my, I fear you may be swooning dear Belle." In annoyance she reached over and swatted his arm as if a fly had landed up his skin.

Hastily she powdered her nose and darkened her lashes and in the mirror she watched as Adam stood, stretching like a cat after a nap before pulling an ancient tunic over his head, it was easy to see that he was a pack rat, as the article of clothing had to have belonged in the seventeenth century. She barely paid him any mind when he stood behind her, avoiding the sunlight that had moved to shine on the bed. "I must away," her golden eyes dulled, if only the slightest, tipping her chin back he leaned forward, though other times she was skittish to accept his kiss, this time when his lips ghosted over hers she yielded to him. "Until next time." With those words he was gone, seemingly vanishing into thin air.

Slipping on her daily heels she aided the workers that cleaned and polished floor from last night's gathering, the smell of a lavish crumb cake wafted through the air from the kitchen and she smiled at the heavenly scent, but continued carrying about the chores she would do daily as well. When her maid rushed to the garden she was nearly out of breath and Belle was clearly shocked but she excitedly flailed her arms about, pointing towards the driveway.

"Miss, the Captain and Major from last night are coming down the drive." Wiping the sweat from her brow she stood and gathered the clipped fresh flowers, brushing off her skirt and completely forgetting her shoes in the dirt patch, she walked to the front of the house. The rattle of the car's engine was unpleasant as it came up her drive, dust following the machine. The rattling stopped when they neared the circle. James quickly hopped from the seat wearing a bright smile. The waistcoat he wore was completely undone and the shirt beneath wrinkled a bit but he looked dashing.