Chapter Four

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach." -Elizabeth Browning

The Brighton Estate, London; April 18, 1913.

Her head ached, oh how it throbbed within her skull, pounding and unrelenting. Izabella rolled over to an empty bed, Adam was gone and because he lacked warmth the sheets where he laid were cold, as if he had never been there in the first place. The groan caught in her throat was grotesque, evident of the pain her body was in. The sunlight filled the open room, the windows open and letting in the spring air, she could clearly smell the blossoms in her gardens as the morning dew still graced their petals. But at the moment she hated it all, the light, the scent, herself. Curtains fell before the windows and in the darkest corner Adam appeared wearing a white lab coat with an outdated binaural stethoscope draped around his pale neck, leather medical bag in hand.

He knelt beside the bed in which she laid, fumbling around with the contents until he pulled out three obsolete flagons. "Belle, I am sorry about last night; and I know that you did not drink enough so here. O negative." Adam curled her fingers around the tarnished metal flask, the lid already undone; with her free hand, Belle stroked his cheek, feeling the stubble of his chin and jaw and groggily smiled.

With a grimace she pushed herself back to the headboard the sheet falling away from her body, leaving it vulnerable to the nipping air. She drank, but still in moderation, the same amount as if she had filled the delicate glass that sat bedside. A small droplet sat on the corner of her lips when she managed a small smile and before Adam could stop himself he leaned forward, kissing the corner of her mouth, his tongue tickling her cheek as he cleaned the blood. Izabella made a sharp intake as his lips pressed almost fully against hers and after a second she pushed him back.

"You shrewd little Lothario!" He was quick to crawl over her, placing himself back on the side of the bed he usually inhabited during his stays, the goofy half smile on his lips was only proving her point. After a moment she glanced at the clock, it was still early in the day, not yet nine but in a few hours James would be here to take her away and at that she felt the panic to ready herself. "If you are going to stay then make yourself useful and start my bath." He scowled at her order and only moved when she hit him with a pillow, feathers threatening to spew out over the room at her vigor.

Izabella's dressing gown was thin from wear and age, the silk-like robe that hung openly was shapeless. The wooden wardrobe was growing cluttered but in spite of the mess she pulled out an off-white day dress. The eyelet design was in small flowers, lace inserts graced the elbow length sleeves and a simple bow that was a lush burgundy would suffice to add color. From there she searched through the jewelry tray on the fading wooden bureau, only settling on a minuscule pair of earrings, gold, of course, tiny rubies set within the studs. She sighed laying them next to the dress, wishing that she could still wear silver but now she was adjusted to the life of gold and the occasional platinum piece. Adam carelessly wandered back into her room, bowing mockingly.

"Your bath awaits you, my Lady." She walked past the insufferable man, patting his cheek condescendingly before taking to the bath. The copper claw foot tub sat in the middle of the room, filled with steaming water and scented oils, the experience nothing short of therapeutic. Hanging her dressing gown on the hook she sank down into the water, submerging herself beneath the surface for only a moment, soaking the scarlet curls until they were pulled straight by their own weight. Cool fingers worked through her scalp and she sighed, leaning back Izabella smiled at Adam. His lips were pursed, his eyes distant.

"I miss her." She knew he spoke of Eve, they had been apart for nearly twenty years, but they had already married six different times, each in a new century. Izabella adored Eve for her wisdom, her vast knowledge of the natural world and literature. Lackadaisically, she lifted her hand from the water, reaching back until she could curl her fingers lightly around his neck, thumb rubbing complacent circles.