Chapter Nineteen

"Once you cross over, there are things in the darkness that can keep your heart from ever feeling the light again."

The Brighton Estate, London; April 22, 1914

"Izabella!" The vampiress jumped at the sound of her name. It startled her and for a moment she believed it to be James but once again he was away. It was Adam who came into the room, just waking as the sun had set in the sky.

"Adam, what is wrong?" She knew something was not right by the tone he had used and the way he lingered in the doorway.

"I had a dream," her brows furrowed and she moved aside, allowing the vampire to sit on her bed. "About you." Yet again he pauses as if trying to formulate a question or a summary of what he had seen. "Belle, I need to know exactly what you did to be able to go in the sun."

She drew in a deep breath, she had never given specifics not to Adam and certainly not to Eve, the situation surrounding the deal was far from ideal and it always lingered in the back of her mind every time the sun gazed upon her skin without turning it to ash. "It was not with the devil, but his name was Lucius Lucifer. He was like you and I, immortal, but not vampire. I could not stand to live away from the light of the sun and one night I met him in the London streets. He instantly knew what I was and he claimed to be a sorcerer, a warlock of sorts...

I spoke of my predicament and he allowed me to drink from him. It would permit me to go in the sun but also bind myself to a contract. He told me I could never turn another and those that I fed from had to be killed. That part you know, but he demanded a favor, one where he would be able to call upon me at any time and use it. I know I was stupid and foolish but Adam, I did not want to live away from the light, I couldn't." Her voice cracked as she remembered what it was like to be confined to the night, held prisoner by the very thing that created her.

His hands touched the sides of her face, thumbs stroking complacent circles on her cheeks. His eyes were gleaming with what looked to be tears but before she could question him further he had pressed his forehead against hers, holding her tightly as if this were to be the last time he could do so. "You foolish girl." For once in her life she was afraid of words, she was afraid of whatever Adam had seen, yet would not tell. Belle wanted James, she wanted to be able to cling to him and cry but instead she was left with Adam.

Tears stung in her eyes and she could not hold them back, the vampire frowned as the drop of liquid hit his wrist. "Izabella, please, do not cry." She heard the soft plea but could not stop the sobs wracking her body. His arms wrapped around her waist, holding her in place. "Belle." Golden eyes looked up at the soft mention of her name, sighing he wiped away her tears and cradled her delicate face.

"Will you tell me of your dream?" She asked, bringing her bottom lip into her mouth, her fingers toying with the tips of his own. Adam sighed and looked down it was then he found his answer. She did not need to know the horrors he had seen in her future, she did not need to bear that pain, it would best for her to be blissfully ignorant for the coming months.

"You do not need to know," one of his hands fiddled with the ends of her hair, "not yet." Izabella left it at that as she knew he would not tell and further prying would only serve to annoy him. She had to trust his judgement and she did. 

"Stay with me?" He breathed a low yes before kissing the crown of her head and bringing her into his side. The tiny streams of moonlight that filtered through the sheer curtain panels was enough to cause him to remember what Eve had told him once and he repeated it, feeling as if Belle needed to hear it, if only so she would remember those words in the coming future.

"The moon is a loyal companion. It never leaves. It's always there, watching, steadfast, knowing us in our light and dark moments, changing forever just as we do. Every day it's a different version of itself. Sometimes weak and wan, sometimes strong and full of light. The moon understands what it means to be vampire. Uncertain. Alone. Cratered by imperfections."