Chapter Five

The Brighton Estate, London; April 23, 1913.

Izabella awaited James's return, three days had already passed and yet when she looked out the windows there was no sign of the Captain. The sun did not shine, the thick clouds had gathered in the sky heavy with rain that had yet to begin falling. Adam had disappeared for the day, but he promised his return that night. The first drop of rain that fell was large, keen senses could hear the pattering of drops on the roof as they fell, it was almost unbearable. The noise was insistent.

Her clock struck two in the afternoon and then four o'clock came, the rain had eased up, the clouds breaking for a momentary reprieve, but she declined tea that day, her hunger spiking. She sat in a small alcove, a blanket covering her legs, a worn book in her lap head resting on the glass pane of the window as the rain began once again. Adam and the nocturnal creature that he was made she did not sleep the entire night, if only to annoy her in all the ways that she loved.

Hooves pounded on her dirt drive, and reluctantly she opened her eyes. The grey and black coat of the horse should have made her alert much sooner than it did, but lethargically she squinted at the approaching figure. The rider was in a military uniform, the olive coat and khaki trousers soaked through. When sensible thoughts returned she stood, racing down stairs to the door, her maids and butlers looking on in confusion as the lady ran from the house. The grey chemise she wore was quickly soaked through, clinging to her arms and legs. Izabella rushed to open her stable doors and James rode in, raking his hand through drenched hair as he dismounted.

"Are you mad? You'll catch your death out here in this weather!" He half expected her to fall into his arms, but he knew that was not like her. The dry air of the stable and barn was almost stale compared to the sweet scent that rain provided. James's looked carelessly down at her body, the thin gown clinging to every curve and unabashedly he licked his cracking lips, his mouth going dry.

"I had to see you. Jamie and I were needed longer than expected. I had to see you, Belle." At his words she could not help but smile, if only a little before the chill sat in. Hugging her pale arms around her body she tried to keep what little body heat she had available, the Captain smiled and leaned forward, kissing her forehead quickly.

"Let's make a dash for the house. We are both in need of dry clothing." Tutti wanted badly to protest as the two left wet footprints and spots of water on the freshly mopped and polished floors but seeing her lady shiver she quickly instructed another worker to begin a fire in the sitting room. Without hesitation she escorted the Captain upstairs to a spare bedroom, gathering linens for him to dry with and a rack for his water sodden clothes to dry on.

She repeated the process for herself, stealing away to her room. Rummaging through her wardrobe and dressers she pulled out a modest gown intended for sleeping, but for lounging about the house and to stay warm it would suffice, especially as she had asked for a fire to be lit in the sitting room's fireplace. "Must you be so loud?" The hoarse voice coming from her bed should not have shocked her, but it did. Izabella jumped, startled at Adam's voice. He scowled at the woman who had interrupted his sleep. She stopped for a moment, shrugging off her wet clothing, much to the vampire's enjoyment and quickly slipped into the thin gown.

"I need an extra set of your clothes Adam," he raised an eyebrow and dug haphazardly into his bag that was bedside, pulling out a pair of lounge pants and button down tunic.

He stood and held them out of her reach when she extended her arms, meaning to take them. "Why? May I ask?" She rolled her eyes and pushed him onto the bed, ripping the clothing from his hands and clutching them to her chest, a protective flicker forming in her eyes.

"James is here and he's soaked to the bone, you two are roughly the same size so it works out perfectly." She turned on heel to return to the guest room leaving the sulking vampire to continue his rest before the night came.