Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath, and so live ever-or else swoon to death-."

The Brighton Estate, London; April 12, 1918

It was the day they had met, five years to the day and on this day it would be when they married as well. However untraditional it may have been they would marry at night, surrounded by only friends and family. From the window looking out at her garden she could see her staff preparing for the night, tables were being set with white tablecloths and red accents. Flower arrangements were precariously positioned throughout the décor and within her home and everything smelled of baked goods and sweet treats. It was a day she never imagined would come in all her years.

The arms that wrapped around her waist were unrelenting in their pursuit to pull her back into the unmade bed but she only laughed and turned her head into the side of his neck. "James, it is time we both wake." She half scolded, her lips just close enough to kiss the prominent vein on his neck though at the last second she nipped his skin and only a small amount of blood was drawn though it healed within seconds. "Are you still certain you want to marry a girl like me?" Izabella batted her lashes at him, her smile coquettish yet refined to look like a proper lady.

The Captain grinned and pulled her even closer by the hips. "I've awaited this day since I first laid eyes on you. I knew I would have you." It was a truth he had not revealed until now. He would have happily spent the remainder of his years wooing the Lady Brighton whether he was successful or not for he had never seen anything more beautiful in his years.

"A bit overconfident weren't you?" She kissed his chin and ran her hands up his chest until they could slip to the nape of his neck, fingers interlocking. When James looked down at her she smiled as his chin began to wrinkle up, it was just one of the many things she adored about him.  

"Yes, I admit, but luckily you were just as taken with me as I was with you." The cocky tone of his voice was enough to make her narrow her eyes at him. He was too sure of himself at the time and too unaware of what exactly he was getting himself into by associating with Izabella Brighton.

The vampiress's laugh was melodic as she took in his words before finally countering with her own view of their first meetings. "I suppose I was, admittedly at first I wanted nothing more than to sink my teeth into your neck." She raised a single brow gauging his reaction but the Captain only rolled his eyes and pulled her closer to the bed until they both fell back onto the mattress with her astride his waist.

Izabella loved being atop him, she loved to see his eyes shine and feel the way his breathing hitched and heart leapt. James trailed his hands up and down her back wishing the thin material of her dressing gown could not separate his skin from hers. With her emboldened and swift motion she had leant down, pressing her lips against his, her hands trailing down his alabaster skin and just to the top of the waist band of his lounge pants. Not going any further she pulled away and stood from the bed, smirking. "Minx." The Captain growled, attempting to follow her but she batted his hands away.

"I know. I'm terrible," She looked to the open wardrobe where a freshly pressed tuxedo awaited her dashing Captain and in the room down the hall her white dress awaited its wearer, "but it's time to begin getting ready." Upon turning a hand wrapped around her wrist and soft lips were pressing against hers, sighing in delight she returned the kiss and pulled away with a fervent blush staining her cheeks.

"If it is a sin to desire your lips against mine than I am the most offending soul alive." Perhaps if she was not making haste to prepare for the evenings ceremony she would have swooned and then chuckled as she would piece together that he had put his own spin on a Shakespeare quote but for now she could only look back and smile at him.