Chapter 9: Moving South

Author's Note
I apologize for taking so long to write, i hope you enjoy this book and theses chapters.

-------------------‐

When Arthur opened his eyes, John was sitting in his tent.

"Hey, Marston," he said, carefully propping himself up with one arm.

"Hey, Arthur. Glad you are looking better."

"Well, I always look better than you," he smiled. "The camp safe?"

"Everyone is fine. A little tense. Hosea punched Micah in the face."

"What? Why?"

"Apparently he called you weak, and Hosea just lost it. The little shit deserved it. Figured someone would punch him eventually. Didn't think it would be Hosea."

They sat in silence for a minute, until John asked, "Do you mind if I bring Jack in? He's been pretty upset these last few days."

"Sure you can."

John walked out and quickly returned with Jack. The boy launched himself at Arthur, ignoring John's hasty instruction of "Careful!" burying his face into Arthur's chest. Arthur grimaced, but stayed silent when the boy started to cry a little. "Are you better, Uncle Arthur?" he asked.

"Yeah, kid, I'm better."

"Mama said you needed rest and I couldn't see you. I was really scared!"

"I'm sorry I scared you, kiddo. You were really brave, you know that?"

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, of course!"

The next few times he woke, it was one of the girls, or Reverend Swanson, checking his bandages or bringing him food. Then, Arthur woke up to Dutch in his tent.

"So, Pinkertons found us," he said without any preamble.

"That's right," Arthur said.

"I had Bill and Micah move the bodies somewhere west of here. Hopefully it keeps them off our trail." Dutch paused, and Arthur could see a lecture forming. "It was stupid, shooting those men."

"What was I supposed to do, let them find us?"

"The law could find us now."

"Seems to me, they already did."

"And why? Because he claimed to have killed Mac? What did I teach you about revenge, son?"

Oh Dutch, Arthur thought. He always preached high and mighty, but betrayed every lesson he tried to impart.

"You think it was just because of Mac? Agent Milton wanted us, Dutch, he wanted you, and he wasn't going to stop! I was protecting my family!"

With a huff, Dutch stood. Running away from his problems again.

"They offered me a deal, Dutch," Arthur called after him. It got Dutch to stop. "My life, if I brought you in."

"So why didn't you take it?" Dutch replied coldly.

"You keep thinking that me disagreeing with you means I'm going to betray you, Dutch," Arthur said. Dutch turned and met his eye, before slipping off. Arthur heard him snap at someone in camp, though he couldn't make out the name as Dutch shouted it too quickly. Lenny poked his head in the tent, and noticing Arthur was still awake, asked, "What's got Dutch all mad now?"

"It seems Dutch can't stand it when anyone disagrees with him," Arthur said, waving Lenny away with his good arm.

Soon, Arthur was wandering around camp, right arm confined to a sling as his shoulder healed. Mostly, he kept the girls company. Mary-Beth let him borrow some of her books, and even shared one of her own stories with him.