Chapter 16: Saint Denis

Lenny was shot trying to stop Jack from being taken by the Braithwaites. We took him to the doctor in Saint Denis, but we don't know if he's going to survive. Bill is dead, too. Is this the price of saving Sean?

I'm going to Angelo Bronte to get Jack back before Dutch can get here. I can't let Dutch meet the man. We saw smoke rising from the manor from the road, so I have to move fast.

--------------------------

The doctor jumped into action as soon as they pulled up in the wagon. "Get him in here, quick!" Arthur gathered Lenny into his arms and took him into the room, Reverend Swanson explaining what happened and what he had done so far.

Then, the assistant was guiding the three of them out of the room, Hosea practically dragging Arthur away. Reverend Swanson went across the street, but for once, he wasn't seeking a drink. Instead, he went to the church to pray.

"I should go get Jack," Arthur said.

"Do you want me to join you?"

"Someone should stay here with Lenny."

He walked outside to Dakota, and spent a few moments petting her and feeding her peppermints. Mounting up, he didn't immediately head to the wealthy district. He first got himself, Hosea, and Swanson a hotel room, and he also treated himself to a bath. Not that he was trying to impress Angelo Bronte, he really wasn't, but he also didn't want Bronte to think of him as a dumb country hick that he could manipulate.

He also acquired some fancier clothes, chuckling a little as he bought the suit that he had ruined jumping off the river boat he, Javier, and Trelawny had robbed.

Dakota trotted down the busy roads, tossing her head as she found herself in the enclosed space rather than the wide open fields they were both used to. He hitched her in the park across from the Bronte house, and walked up to the guards.

"Hi," he awkwardly started. "I need to speak to Angelo Bronte."

"Mr. Bronte does not see people without an appointment. Who are you?"

"Well, I heard he's got my friends son, and I'm here to get him back." The gate guard moved his finger closer to the trigger, but Arthur had already drawn his revolver from the holster. "Don't test me, boy. Just because I want to do this civilized don't mean I have to."

The guard hesitated, but opened the gate. Arthur slid his revolver back in the holster and kept his hands visible in front of him. No need to cause a scene. They led him to the Italian man, who sat in his robe and narrowed his eyes at the intruder in his home. He spoke in Italian to men in a cold, sneering tone, and Arthur doubted that the words were pleasant.

Arthur did not possess Dutch's charm in his words, but damn it if he wasn't going to be direct. And he had one thing that Dutch was never willing to part with: money. No doubt, he expected to buy his way out of this, or spend his evening catching grave robbers.

"So, you walk up to my front door, in my city, and demand a meeting with me?" Bronte spoke first.

"I'm here for the boy."

"And you think you can just come here and take him?"

"Of course not," Arthur smiled. "I know how this works. You are in business with the Braithwaite family. You agreed to take my friend's son, and you want to be paid. Well, Catherine Braithwaite ain't paying you. Pretty sure my associates burned their fancy manor to the ground. So, let's make a deal."

Bronte laughed and gestured for Arthur to sit. "You hear this man? I love him. You are right, Mr.?"

"Morgan. Arthur Morgan."